How To Open Ports For Xp Firewall & Messenger??

Black_Pride

OSNN Addict
Does anyone know how to specify which ports to open in messenger?

I cannot receive files and its crazy because i can send them with no problem.

Even when I disable the XP firewall i still cannot receive files.

If it is not the ports then someone please suggest something....its making me crazy.

Thanks!!:( :( :(

No,
I am a single user on my PC in my home. I am not on a network and not behind a router. I am connected to the net via Bellsouth ADSL on a USB Modem. I am convinced I messed with a setting some months back and screwed up my ability to receive files thru messenger. Its very strange. I have even reinstalled XP to no avail.

I can SEND files in MSN but not receive.
I can RECEIVE files in ICQ but not send.....

WTF????

any suggestions anyone?

Hey, I have the same problem. Windows Messenger can send files, but can't receive.
I'm behind a router, but it doesn't work even when the firewall is disabled!!
Can anybody help?

Thanx!

im behind a router /firewall i had that problem too i solved it by opening port 80 in messanger and also letting that port in my router settings. port 80 is a web port try the samn thing in icq

Originally posted by weazel
im behind a router /firewall i had that problem too i solved it by opening port 80 in messanger and also letting that port in my router settings. port 80 is a web port try the samn thing in icq

Is it dangerous to open port 80 for incoming, besides being able to transfer files via MSN, because I want to see this work behind my FR314 NetGear Router.

MSN Messenger
(Watch Out! Opens a wide port range!)
NOTE: Shut off any personal firewall programs such as BlackIce, ZoneAlarm, etc.
Ports 6891-6900 enable File send,
Port 6901 is for voice communications
Allows Voice, PC to Phone, Messages, and Full File transfer capabilities.
Thnx to Brad King & Bill Finch Jr.
IN TCP 6891 - 6900
IN TCP 1863
IN UDP 1863
IN UDP 5190
IN UDP 6901
IN TCP 6901

Thanks

And also, if this port is open and you are transferring a file is it possible for the receiver to see your true IP? Because, I was able to catch anothers IP by using netstat -an while transferring a file from one pc to another. BUT, not behind a firewall. I would try this now, but Im not home.

:p hehehe

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back