how to make it work faster

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
i had to fix a computer for a friend and i just wanted to know if i could make it faster the specs are

Operating System
System Model

Windows 98 (build 4.10.1998)
VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C694X

Processor a
Main Circuit Board

850 megahertz Intel Celeron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: 694X-686A
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 08/24/2001

Drives
Memory Modules

6.47 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
3.13 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

CD-ROM CCD-52X6S
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (6.47 GB) -- drive 0
128 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'BANK_0' has 128 MB
Slot 'BANK_1' is Empty
Slot 'BANK_2' is Empty
Slot 'BANK_3' is Empty
, if anyone could help it would be great, the main purpose of the pc it to play diablo II ex pack

I am assuming that the video is onboard, and if the main purpose is to play games, then I would say get a video card. Will probably have to be PCI though.

the video is a ati radion pro and it is like 32 mb but with out buying anything is there anything i can do

go to www.powerleap.com and you can get (i would think) a compatable tulatin celeron at up to 1.4 GHz (i've heard you can o'c them to around 1.6GHz) for about $170. they have some other crazy **** too, i havn't looked to closely at it though. and yeah, a video card, and a 7200 rpm harddrive (esp one with an 8mb cache) and you can never have too much ram

Without buying anything?
Overclock your cpu and vid card. Say goodbye to any kind of warranty if there is one though. Also if the ram is good enough, you can change the memory timings in the bios, to make it go faster. Since you're on 98, either get a memory manager or move to xp.

Get a program like 'enditall' to close all apps that are not necessary to play games. That will free up more memory.

Making the Swap file fixed 1.5 x RAM will stop fragmentation and increase disk access time

Then optimize the swap file using Norton Speed Disk
This brings the swap to front of the disk increasing paging speed

:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back