How to make a self extracting executable with install?

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
You know those files you download from Microsoft (and other software vendors) that you can run from command line to extract?

filename.exe /t:C:\path /c

What software application do I need to create one of those that can be used on a system without the same application?

Or better yet... be able to create one of those, run it, it extracts itself, and automatically installs the software (just like .NET Framework).

Problem is I keep adding more and more to my slipstreamed Windows installation disc and now it is at 740MB all thanks to both .NET 1.1 (60MB) and .NET 2.0 (100MB).

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. Please don't suggest IExpress, it sucks (especially for a lot of files).

I already gave thought to it but MAKECAB only allows you to compress one file at a time.

D:\>makecab /?
Microsoft (R) Cabinet Maker - Version 5.1.2600.2180
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved..

MAKECAB [/V[n]] [/D var=value ...] [/L dir] source [destination]
MAKECAB [/V[n]] [/D var=value ...] /F directive_file [...]

source File to compress.
destination File name to give compressed file. If omitted, the
last character of the source file name is replaced
with an underscore (_) and used as the destination.
/F directives A file with MakeCAB directives (may be repeated).
/D var=value Defines variable with specified value.
/L dir Location to place destination (default is current directory).
/V[n] Verbosity level (1..3).

D:\>

There are a multitude of install utilites. most are paid. some are free. they compress the contents if possible. but remember that most distribution content is already compredssed and the install utility may make the file bigger. i'd google it for you but am typing left handed.

try self extracting installers

I did. I came across one that is included with Visual Studio (and I think I have a license at home) and WinZip Self Extractor 3.0.

Cool. Not sure but does the video studio one require a "distrbutable" on the end system first or does it install the distributable as part of the installer? There is something in the back of my head about the liscence to make distributables, but can't remember the details, its been years since i looked at it.

WZSE 3.0 looks good. I will have to test it to make sure it works, but it seems easy enough to use.

Thanks for your input/help.

I am in the process of learning how to use WISE Installer - http://www.wise.com/

I like it because you can start it, run a program, and it "watches" to see what gets added/changed.

If I remember correctly, Wise is very costly. Licensing isn't cheap.

^^^You remember correctly :D

Well worth it though if you have the use for it, amazing features.

I think I found a downfall to WinZip Self-Extractor 3.0.

Unless I am mistaken (I emailed support) you can't add switches to the installation path.

e.g. ".\netfx.msi /qn"

It doesn't work and says the file cannot be found.

If I change it to ".\netfx.msi" it works fine.

If I change it to ".\netfx.msi" /qn it yells at me.

Too bad InstallShield is $1500.00.

Let's see what support says.

Paste below into start>run>ok and away you go.

%windir%\system32\iexpress.exe

IExpress stinks for one reason: it becomes a pain to create self extracting files if you have a lot of files to add (i.e. 10+ files). See first post, last statement.

P.S. Please don't suggest IExpress, it sucks (especially for a lot of files).

=]

I think I found a downfall to WinZip Self-Extractor 3.0.

Unless I am mistaken (I emailed support) you can't add switches to the installation path.

e.g. ".\netfx.msi /qn"

It doesn't work and says the file cannot be found.

If I change it to ".\netfx.msi" it works fine.

If I change it to ".\netfx.msi" /qn it yells at me.

Too bad InstallShield is $1500.00.

Let's see what support says.
WinZip offers a CMD Line Utility, not sure if it applies to that as well. If so, that may help you out since it gives you the ability to add switches.

http://www.winzip.com/prodpagecl.htm

I've had to use it recently, works very well and can install silently :cool:

You're confused. I need the Self-Extractor to extract the files and run a command with switches.

I had a feeling I got it wrong, my bad.

You can use that program for that task though, if the end-user machine has WinZip installed, and that CMD line utility, you can, through a command line script, extract files.

That's how I interpreted what you were trying to do wrt to extraction.

I am waiting on confirmation from WinZip/Corel, but I believe I have figured out the problem.

When creating a self-extracting file that runs a command: WinZip Self-Extractor 3.0 doesn't support MSI files. I was able to create a self-extracting file that launched an EXE file with the "/q" switch no problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back