How To keep users from installing software

T

TheDonger

I am currently rolling out XP Pro to my office. None of the users have admin privleges, and no one can install software that uses the windows installer (ie: MS Office, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc). However they are still able to install some programs from the internet (ie: Winamp, Webshots, etc.) Is there a way to keep users from installing any software regardless if it uses the windows installer.

i dont think so...but maybe someone knws...sorry
dont believe in my reply untill others reply...cuz im not too sure

No believe me, they exist, I am one of them, but my boss keeps me happy, he pays me for 8 hours of work a day no matter how long i worked, which, my overtime comes nowhere near the time he's paid me for that i didn't have to work...

I would like to shake your hand. I am not a worker you can trust because I steal pens from work. ;)

Im quite certain you can do it with a group policy, set in place for whatever group you have the "normal" users in. you could pretty much take away anything you want, including where they go, what icons are on the desktop, what they have available in control panel, etc...

I have AD Group policies in place. I have windows installer disabled and installs from removable media disabled. However the install for winamp (and other like that) still seem to work even though the workstations are so locked down they are practically in kiosk mode.

Well as listed above u can use Group Policies to restrict it...
or alternatively... you could use a 3rd party software... search on google for those... there are a few free ones out there...

MdSalih

Hello,
I am in the military and on my work computer I use a LAN to access the web, and for e-mail purposes. They have set policies that keep me from accessing certain web pages, to defeat this I was able to use a dial up connection, which did not use these set policies, until the military got smart and took out all modems and just left the LAN cards. Now the only way I can defeat this is to use a remote connection to my home computer and then access the web site from there. So the others were right you can restrict access using group policies but don’t forget remote desktop, NetMeeting and other such programs when trying to block total access.
:)

We use a proxy server to restrict access, which i am sure you already knew what i meant in my above statement....:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back