How to Install HDD..

S

stuy_b

I've just been dumped wiv' an old P60 PC :eek: from my aunt, she wanted to add a bigger HDD.

Now I know these have a limit of how big a HDD they can use, if memory is correct this P60s limit is about 1Gb!!!!!!!

But is there a way around this? I've heard of drive overlay software. What is this ?.. Will it work for me ?... and most important WHERE can i get hold of it?

Many thanks

Stuy_b

P.S. makes my own PC seem blisteringly quick! lol :D

you'd have to buy a drive that wasn't super huge to my belief, I know with western digital I think all of the drives come with the overlay software on their data lifeguard tool disk btu i'm not sure, you have to have overlay software specific to the manufacturer of the drive, your best bet would be to pick the drive you want and just call the manufactuere and they will be happy to tell you

I personally have had to called WD and Maxtor a few times and the reps always knew their stuff and were friendly

The best thing to do would be to just dump that P60:) I believe that it is the BIOS that limits hard drive partition size, not the processor. You can download the utility disk from the hard drive manufacturer's web site and it will let you format and partition the hard drive. Just find out the maximum partition that the BIOS can recognize and then partition the hard drive accordingly.

ya Bios is the limiter...thats what a driver overlay does...it loads on sector 0 of the drive and it sort of pretends to be the bios...the bios sees the drive as one size, but the overlay tells programs and the os the real size so it can be fully utilized

This was due to old bios's not hvaing LBA so it could not address blocks over a certain size, hence the limit :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back