How to install folding@home in linux (ubuntu)

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
So i have 5 machines running, one is spare so i put ubuntu on it and want to run folding, when i am not using it, which is really never, its just for fun....

... but i'm not sure how to install folding@home on it, i'm a linux noob to say the least.

i wonder if its possible that someone on these boards are able to respond to any of my questions... on any of my threads, of that most have gone totally unanswered, one might get a paranoid feeling from that :)

yeah i saw that, but it just doesn't seem to want to run the program and yes apt get is a componant of ubuntu, can i just apt get the folding program instead?

well I am on the thread but not at my home base (actually using an iMac here :p) When I get back later I'll try to get around to booting a box to Ubuntu, been meaning to grab some updates there and stuff anyway, then I will attach a useful script or two that helps... but the actual running of folding is pretty much a piece of cake... I'm almost certain that even as a Linux n00b you can donwload the client, mark it for executable, and start it up in a console which is all there is to it to get folding (apart from the usual team number, user etc stuff).

Oh yeah, make sure to grab the Linux flavour of course :p seriously you should have no problems - although if you want to make it like the XP service version you have to do the config/scripting yourself of course :)

MFG how do i make is executable, i really am new, probably only used it for a total of ten hours.

as soon as I can persuade Lord to remote to our server and sort my domain join I'll get back to you on this thread.... (I was going to use the frigging server to copy over and attach the funky scripts for folding enhancement ubuntu-wise!)

Meanwhile since I am so busy you should find these guys most useful (they called me a "butnut" user on ICQ, but I forgave them ;) )

And to mark the file executable open a terminal, you can mark something executable this way:
chmod +x file_name

For more info:
man chmod

Hey thanks MFG i actually found out how to do it at ubuntuforums.... but i'd actually like to see it doing something other than just watching the cpu system monitor, is there a graphical interface or at least a terminal text that shows me whats going on real time... i know i can look at the html doc, but thats no fun.

Thanks

yeah sure there is - that was where I was going to reboot and use the frigging server (wake up Lord tech support!)....

I probably will get back to you on that - but when I take down my main beast for a reboot I am gonna shove in an audigy card waiting to go there - and Lord assures me that is likely to lead me down the slippery slope of a reformat for the frigging drivers.... so don't necessarily hold your breath on that one! On the other had this stuff is out there and google can be your friend whatever the OS - also Justlinux has active folders, like my linkie may have shown you... they hang on IRC at freenode and they're cool there too - je_fro particularly if IRC is something you can/will do...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back