How to install a OS on this laptop?

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
i have a laptop in my possition, it has no mediabays how can i install an OS like XP or 2000 or possably linux? can someone help me with this it is a thinkpad x20

No media bays? You mean it has no CD drive at all?
If so, you could do a internet/FTP-based linux install on it. There are several distros that have this option. You don't need floppy or CD drives to get the OS installed and running. The documentation for the specific distro you choose should give you a step-by-step procedure on how to do it.

If you still need help, feel free to ask. :)

is there anyway to get 98 on it because after 98 is on it i know how to go from there. i was thinking basicaly getting the dos prompt on it and copying the 98 files to teh hdd from putting it anouther computer, so the question is how can i get a dos prompt on this drive, i can put it in a normal computer because i have the adaptor

canadian_divx said:
is there anyway to get 98 on it because after 98 is on it i know how to go from there. i was thinking basicaly getting the dos prompt on it and copying the 98 files to teh hdd from putting it anouther computer, so the question is how can i get a dos prompt on this drive, i can put it in a normal computer because i have the adaptor
you can't just copy 98 from a computer onto that laptop ... install is more complex w/ drivers and things :) without a cd-rom or a floppy drive i'm not sure how you would go about getting 98 on your laptop ... might not be possible.

If it's a laptop hard drive adaptor you're talking about, use it to install the laptop's hard drive in another computer (preferrably running Windows 98). It should show up in Explorer, where you can format it with the /s switch--this transfers COMMAND.COM to the newly formatted hard drive, allowing it to be bootable.

Once the drive is formatted, create a directory on it (I like to call it CABS) and copy all the install and CAB files off the Windows 98 CD (x:\win98\*.* I think) to the directory. This will allow you to install Windows off of the hard drive.

Replace the laptop hard drive back into the laptop and boot it. It should go straight to the command prompt where you can type cd cabs (or whatever you called the directory), and then type setup /ie. This begins the typical Windows 98 install, and the /ie switch skips the option to create a new Windows bootable floppy during setup (which would be rather challenging considering you don't have a floppy drive).

Provided everything works properly to this point, Windows 98 will install just as if it's being done off a CD, though much faster. When the installation is done, I recommend that you leave the CAB files in the original installation directory; if Windows ever asks for the installation CD, point it to that directory (instead of the non-existent optical drive) and it'll find all the source files it needs.

If you need drivers for the X20, you can download them from IBM's website.

I hope this explains everything. If the post is a bit too wordy, just let me know and I'll try to clarify things.

ahh that was exactly what i was looking for, i just didnt know how to do it but i have seen the end result. thanks dude i shal try right away

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back