[HOW TO]: Get security tab in XP Home

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political Access
Get security tab in XP Home

This is a nice little tip/tweak for all the XP Home users. If used this myself many times to get myself out of scrapes. I posted it a few times on the old DB but now seems like a good time to post it here :)

As we know XP doesn't have the same amount of security settings as Pro does but with this little tip you can get the security tab on the properties window and assign rights to files and folders, works well with taking ownership of files (here) and for getting around the limitations of a limited account without giving someone full access

Go to: http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/scm/default.asp

Download the x86 (Intel) version of the Security Configuration Manager and save it to your hard disk. Double click the SCESP4I.EXE file you downloaded and extract the contents to a temporary location on your hard disk. Then open the folder you extracted the files to and locate the Setup.inf (Setup Information) file. Right click Setup.inf and select Install. After the installation is finished, reboot your computer.

Make sure you create a System Restore point before starting.

WARNING: Adjusting the permissions on a drive, file or folder can lock even the Administrator account out of that drive/file/folder. Deny Permissions take precedence over Allow Permissions, regardless of your group membership. Administrators are members of the User's group, by default. Uncheck Allow, rather than using Deny.

umm...to get the security tab on xp home simply boot into safe mode. No registry hack, etc needed. SCM was included in nt4 sp4/win2k/xp. There's no reason to download it.

-gosh

I don't want to have to re boot the computer just to access a security tab. This way its there in normal boot as well.
If there is another way to activate the tab without having to go to safe mode, all the better.

yup it's a great help not to have to boot into safe mode :cool:

xsivforce said:
People who purchased XP Home.
And of course - those of us who had it installed OEM when we purchased our "retail systems" and have hidden partitions and no XP cd etc!!!:eek:

damnyank said:
And of course - those of us who had it installed OEM when we purchased our "retail systems" and have hidden partitions and no XP cd etc!!!:eek:

I had XP Home on my laptop for a while, got sick of it and its lack of advanced features. So I got Pro and put it on. My laptop came with no hidden partition and 6 restore cds + an actual Win XP Home CD :)

Admiral Michael said:
My laptop came with no hidden partition and 6 restore cds + an actual Win XP Home CD :)
I am glad to hear that and happy for you - I wish I would have been smart enough when I purchased my HP to relieze what the limitations of not having the XP cd would be! Yes, I also had to purchase restore cd's since I wanted them in case something happened to the hidden partition.:rolleyes:

Never had any need of the extra "features" that Xp Pro has (except the file security, and only a few times)

damnyank said:

same here :( i paid for XP home not a dam 5GB partition :mad::p

Dell was nice enough to send separate CDs for XP as well as for all of the software that came pre-installed, instead of one of those horrible recovery CDs that just reinstall all the junk again...even stuff that you don't ever use or want.
The hidden partition is only 32MB and just includes a set of diagnostic tools to check that all the internal hardware is working properly.

Very nice way of doing things. :)

i use xp home and dont have choice because my isp says that it does'nt work on xp pro

the milkman said:
i use xp home and dont have choice because my isp says that it does'nt work on xp pro

what kinda bs is that? What ISP you got?

The link now lives. :D :D

And it seems that that security tab is sometimes needed in xp home non safe mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back