How to foil the RIAA

Petros

Thief IV
Copyright laws state that a copyrighted work can be reproduced without permission if it is not reporduced in its entirety, as in when newspapers quote entire paragraphs from copyrighted works, or when you see a page or two as a sample on Amazon.

CDs are recorded at a sampling rate of 1411 Kbps, but an MP3 might be only 192 Kbps. So an MP3 is only 13.6% of the original work, thus it is legal to reproduce.

What do you think? :)

Originally posted by HandyBuddy
Copyright laws state that a copyrighted work can be reproduced without permission if it is not reporduced in its entirety, as in when newspapers quote entire paragraphs from copyrighted works, or when you see a page or two as a sample on Amazon.

CDs are recorded at a sampling rate of 1411 Kbps, but an MP3 might be only 192 Kbps. So an MP3 is only 13.6% of the original work, thus it is legal to reproduce.

entirety == length... ergo quality v/s length argument is null and void...

newspaper issue == plagirism... bad form... amazon issue is valid due to it being a form of advertisement...

on the other hand I think RIAA sucks bollox... :)

now... if you 'sampled' the music and it was 4.11 mins long and you 'only' recorded 4.10 mins of it... :) I would be with you in terms of arguing that it was not a complete reproduction :D

the first of the last second of dead sound :) don't really need it...

Originally posted by HandyBuddy
How to foil the RIAA

dont break the law
stealing is wrong ~ there is no valid excuse

:rolleyes:

Re: Re: How to foil the RIAA

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45
dont break the law
stealing is wrong ~ there is no valid excuse

its not stealing really... as if the RIAA wanted to listen to the album, they could - stealing is really when you're taking a physical item from someone... in the process, removing their ability to use the item themselves :p

There was something on "The Register" a while back which went into the details of "copyright infringement" and how there are so many loopholes to avoid punishment by the RIAA.

It's still not right really, but I really believe music files should be readily available off the Internet for free (try before you buy schemes) with some sort of "limited-use" protection on the file.

It's a real shame that the Kbps thing wouldnt be a loophole, but the time thing I think it would...

Re: Re: Re: How to foil the RIAA

Originally posted by jonifen
its not stealing really

yes it is

taking without consent is unlawful

ignorance of the law will not save you

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to foil the RIAA

yes it is

taking without consent is unlawful

ignorance of the law will not save you

its not ignorance - its really not "stealing" unless the original owner loses his/her ability to use the product after it's taken.

:confused: I wouldn't argue with 2z he has got a big metal baseball club and a fast pc :eek: watch it ! :cool:

RIAA sux0rs my nuts0rs! there are so many other ways to fix this problem but nooooooooooooo they wanna sue everyone! there was 3million people on kazaa last night.... I don't think its working.

Sazar....stop using the word 'ergo'!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

It's one of those things, you know, something you dont notice until someone points it out....then you notice it ALL the time!!

:)

Originally posted by Teddy

Lol...I abbreviate it to "e.g.," but I use it a lot too.

Leggo my ergo!

Current status of Kazaa: 3.7 million users sharing 5.5 petabytes of information. Wow!

Originally posted by Teddy

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

It's one of those things, you know, something you dont notice until someone points it out....then you notice it ALL the time!!

:)

whats wrong with the word ?

it makes a lot of sense... and is a nice little segue I reckon :D

a one word segue... always kewl :D

v. stole, (stl) sto·len, (stln) steal·ing, steals
v. tr. To take (the property of another) without right or permission.

thought i'd clear that up...

The way I see this whole RIAA thing, is that I've paid them a load of money already (through the tariffs on digital media equipment and blank CDs which in turn I used for digital pictures and ligit music) that the mp3s I download have been indirectly payed for :)

Originally posted by Sazar
whats wrong with the word ?

it makes a lot of sense... and is a nice little segue I reckon :D

a one word segue... always kewl :D

Nothing wrong with the word, just the amount you use it!! ;)

:cool:

a rose by any other name is still a rose

Digital Millennium Copyright Act

/polishes big metal baseball club

:p

a rose by any other name is still a rose

Unless it's a picture of it, then it's a picture of a Rose... NOT a Rose. :D

Digital Millennium Copyright Act is nothing but a ploy for the RIAA to impose it's will on every aspect of the Industry.

And it is NOT stealing... it is a copy thereof... You don't make a copy of an Automobile, you steal it... you don't make a copy of a T.V., you steal it... you don't make copies of money (unless it's counterfiet... Then it's still NOT stealing :p), you steal it... you walk into a Virgin Records MegaStore, you steal the CDs not copy them... Should I go on??? :rolleyes:

*polishes Two Z's seeking Missile* :p

Originally posted by gonaads
And it is NOT stealing... it is a copy thereof... You don't make a copy of an Automobile, you steal it... you don't make a copy of a T.V., you steal it... you don't make copies of money (unless it's counterfiet... Then it's still NOT stealing :p), you steal it... you walk into a Virgin Records MegaStore, you steal the CDs not copy them... Should I go on??? :rolleyes:

Thats the point I was trying to make (thx for indirectly putting what I was saying into clearer words Gonaads :)) - I wasnt trying to justify why people download music, nor was I saying its right, but I was simply saying, its not actually stealing.

I can't believe ppl are trying to say that downloading music isn't stealing :rolleyes:

Everytime a record/cd is sold the recording artist gets paid a royalty on the sale - so if u don't buy it,if u dl it instead, u are taking money from that individuals pocket - and that's not stealin g ?

Some people will say anything and do anything to get something for free :rolleyes:

Originally posted by avsdotcom
I can't believe ppl are trying to say that downloading music isn't stealing :rolleyes:

Everytime a record/cd is sold the recording artist gets paid a royalty on the sale - so if u don't buy it,if u dl it instead, u are taking money from that individuals pocket - and that's not stealin g ?

so using that theory, you'd be stealing MONEY, not the CD which everyone seems to think it is.

Originally posted by Benny
Some people will say anything and do anything to get something for free :rolleyes:

I've never said downloading music is the right thing to do. I download music, and if I like it, I buy it (call it try before you buy). If I dont like it, I delete it from my computer... no need in keeping stuff I'm not gonna use.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back