how to flash bios and highpoint

S

stapler101

i think I found the cause of much of my grief. I have mismatched the highpoint raid driver bios and driver.
I have an Abit Kt7a- raid board.
I need advice/help on getting the mb bios and the highpoint raid controller flashed.
Can someone:
1. suggest the best bios WITH the best highpoint driver imbedded
2. put it in plain english how to do it!
I have read and read on several sites, but I guess it is over my head.
I do "understand" that the mb bios and the highpoint bios must be flashed together, but I can't decide which to use and exactly how to do it.

Go to http://www.biosmods.com/

In the menu options on the left under 'BIOS Menu' you want to select from the 'Abit KT7' series. The ones from 'kt764' to 'kt764 + hpt23' are mods that use the newest (64) Award bios in conjunction with different highpoint bioses.

1. You'll have to experiment with different hpt bios/driver combinations to get your best performance. So far the best combination i've been able to come up with for myself is with the HPT370 2.0.0919 bios (KT764 + hpt20a), and the v2.0.1019 highpoint driver.

2. To flash the bios, download the Abit bios flash utility package. Download a modified bios *.bin file. Edit the "Runme.bat" file to call the modified *.bin file. For example, If you downloaded a modified bios called 'tbird.bin,' then edit the 'runme.bat' file to read:

@echo off
cls
ECHO !-------------------------------------------------!
ECHO ! !
ECHO !Please DO NOT run this batch file under Windows! !
ECHO ! !
ECHO !-------------------------------------------------!
pause
call abitfae.bat tbird.bin

When you've done that, copy the pertinent files to your flashing diskette, boot to it and flash your bios following Abit's flashing instructions.

Thanks Lonman, did you read in Pauls unofficial that upgrading or downgrading the highpoint may cause corrupt files on a drive attatched to the raid?
That is exactly why I am reinstalling for about the 10th time!! The error, at bootup, system32/software file is missing, corrupt, etc.
Have you had this prob?
Also, how do I check which highpoint bios I have?

I only have one drive on my Raid controller and haven't had a problem with disk corruption at all.

When you boot up, you'll get to the highpoint bios screen where it's detecting your drive(s) and the version number is in the upper right I believe.

Lonman, mine is 1110102 bios and 1110512 driver. I guess this is what is on the xp disk.
I downloaded the file from the site you sent. Should it be just one file 4a200919? Is this the mb bios and the highpoint?
I guess I'm still lost. It shows to be bin file.
I now need a flash utility package?
Dang, I must be dumb!!

Try this. Work for me and haven't had a problem with them.

Download this bios package.. Make a folder somewheres and run in... it's a self extracting zip file. The file list you should have at this point:

kt764.exe <<< you can delete this one after you extract these:
ABITFAE.BAT
AWDFLASH.EXE
KT7_64.BIN
KT7_64.TXT
RUNME.BAT

Delete the file 'KT7_64.BIN.' Download one of the modded bin files, right click on 'RUNME.BAT'> edit> do the edit i already outlined and save it. Copy all the files to your flashing diskette (If you need help creating the diskette and/or flashing instructions let me know).

You can get the matching drivers to the bios you selected either from www.biosmods.com, or from http://www.highpoint-tech.com/hpt370.htm.

Here's a package for the v23 (newest available) bios and drivers. Copy the contents from the 'bios' folder onto your flashing diskette... boot to it and type 'runme' at the command prompt... A:\>runme

Go to device manager, right click on your hpt controller and select 'update.' point it to the folder 'drivers\Win_XP.'

lonman are you using the latest? I used them and my system performance was terrible. i'm using the package i posted and get excellent performance.

I haven't tried the newest ones yet... The ones that i struck on for the best performance (measuered by HD Tach) is the 0919 bios (KT764 + hpt20a), and the 1019 highpoint driver. I'm doing ok with that combo so I think I'll leave it alone for now. I'm 'hoping' Abit gets their act together and finds a killer setup that will unleash these drives... I can always hope.

my new motherboard is an asus with promise raid controllers. (not installed yet) is it the same way as abit? do i have to get matching bios and drivers?

The new bios/driver matchup I don't like. I'm using 2.3 drivers and 12.03 bios.

my new motherboard is an asus with promise raid controllers. (not installed yet) is it the same way as abit? do i have to get matching bios and drivers?
I'm not sure about the promise controllers... I'll have to wait until you have problems with it and post your questions before I research it. :p

well damn i was hoping to flash the bios, with a matching promise bios. then install the most recent drivers for Promise when i install XP.

Originally posted by ZipTriX
well damn i was hoping to flash the bios, with a matching promise bios. then install the most recent drivers for Promise when i install XP.
I suggest not doing anything except checking the m/b's site for bios updates, and only to see if the updates fix anything XP related. If something ain't broke... don't fix it.

Lonman, thanks very much! The file I downloaded is called 4a200919. I saw somewhere that if name was over 8 characters long you may need to rename. Is that necessary?

Will my "call" read: call abitfae.bat 4a200919.bat

I think I basically understand now, but once all files are on a disk, I use boot disk to get to pure dos, what command will cause the flash?
BTW, by accident I had the 2.3 driver installed (not the bios) and I know it caused system restore to stop. I read that turning sys restore off and rebooting would cure, but it didn't.
The package with the 2.3 seems to be "automatic" as far as setup. Is that correct? That part sure seems nice to someone like myself who is intimidated by the thought of """flash"""
One more thing, on the highpoint page I do not see a bios or driver 200919. Which driver is right?

The file I downloaded is called 4a200919.
1. Did you get this from www.biosmods.com?
2. Almost... call abitfae.bat 4a200919.bin<<< probably a typo on your part.
I think I basically understand now, but once all files are on a disk, I use boot disk to get to pure dos, what command will cause the flash?
3. Yes, use a dos boot disk. the command will be 'runme' or 'runme.bat' from the command prompt (A:\>).
The package with the 2.3 seems to be "automatic" as far as setup. Is that correct?
4. Are you referring to the 'v23 bios and drivers.zip' file I attached in an earlier post? If yes, then just copy the files from the bios folder to your dos boot disk and execute the 'runme' command. I've already edited the runme.bat file for you and downloaded the newest bin file (AMDTB.BIN) - those are the only files you'll need.
I had the 2.3 driver installed
5. If you already have the 2.3 drivers installed, then you don't need to update them.

We'll have to deal with the system restore issue later - it might have to do with something else you've installed recently.

Final question, have you been to the Abit website to read the bios flash instructions all the way through? It's important you have a clear understanding of the procedure. You can kill your motherboard if something goes wrong. Not to frighten you, just respect the process and you'll be fine.

Originally posted by stapler101
Lonman, thanks very much! The file I downloaded is called 4a200919. I saw somewhere that if name was over 8 characters long you may need to rename. Is that necessary?

BTW, by accident I had the 2.3 driver installed (not the bios) and I know it caused system restore to stop. I read that turning sys restore off and rebooting would cure, but it didn't.
The package with the 2.3 seems to be "automatic" as far as setup. Is that correct? That part sure seems nice to someone like myself who is intimidated by the thought of """flash"""
One more thing, on the highpoint page I do not see a bios or driver 200919. Which driver is right?

Look in your ABIT manual for assistance flashing the Bios. You can also try the package I uploaded. There's a readme file in the zip file that tells you want to do.

I flashed my bios from ?? to the new #65 about 2 months ago with no problem. The highpoint embedding is what has me thrown.
As for the 2.3 highpoint, I had the 2.3 driver installed yesterday with the older 1110402 bios.
I was getting corrupt system 32 software errors and could not boot. On Pauls unofficial abit page he mentions this problem. The only thing I could figure out to do was reinstall.
I now have mb bios #65 with old highpoint 111402 bios and the matching (according to their site) 1115012 driver.
I guess these came from the xp disk when I reinstalled yesterday.

One FINAL (ha) question. Yesterday and today, I have had no crashes or boot failures!! I have only installed my cd, burner, and xp updates. No other hardware or software.
I have not updated the 4in1 nor the highpoint. They are off the xp disk.
Should I go ahead with the flash?

Ziptrix, I guess my ? was, since everything seems to be working using the xp built in highpoint and 4 in 1, should I flash to get the "new and improved" highpoint and should I install the new 4
.37 4in1?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back