How to find USB version?

J

joey

Is there anyway I can find out the USB hardware version in WinXP Pro? ie. 1.1 or 2.0? :confused:

What kind of hardwares will possibly benefit with the speed of USB 2.0 :rolleyes:

Your motherboard supports USB 1.1. In order to use USB 2.0, the device you are using (i.e. Digital Camera, Harddrive, ect), you must get a USB 2.0 add-in PCI card. That will allow you to use USB 2.0. However, USB 1.1 devices that you have now cannot use the extra bandwith available to them when you have a USB 2.0 card.

thx, but is there anyway I can find out the USB version in WinXP?

I want to find out what version of USB in the laptop but donno the brand of mother board and the user menu doesn't specify.
:(

You're confusing hardware with software. USB 1.1 is built in to your computer...1.1 and 2.0 are versions of hardware. USB 2.0 is a specification that is fairly new and most newer motherboards (ones that have been made since may or so) should be USB 2.0 compatable. You can't simply download an update for 1.1 to 2.0.
I'm gonna say you have version 1.1.

ic, thx

but is there anyway such as going into "System Properties" -> "Hardware" tab, something like this will able to tell the hardware?

or anyother software will tell what hardwares I've got in my pc?

I bought a new P4 2G laptop, everythings seems powerful, that's y wanna find out the USB version is 1 or 2.

thx

If you don't have a USB 2.0 device, I wouldn't worry about it right now. Did you get a manual with your laptop? If so, it should tell you. And go to system properties and Hardware configuration. I doubt it will tell you anything.

I believe Maxtor makes an external 2.0 hard drive. You might check into that one.

I just know "System Properties" will help to find out the hardware, but I donno the steps afterward.

Under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" I found
"Intel(R) 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Controller - 2482"
"Intel(R) 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Controller - 2484"
"USB Root Hub"
"USB Root Hub"

From looking at intel datasheets, I believe your controller is USB 1.1 compatable.

do u got the url for the datasheet or can u attach one for me plz?

thx

If you already have a USB 2 device lying around, you could plug it in and if the port is USB 1.1 Windows will tell you that a high speed USB device is pluged into a low speed USB port, if it doesn't do that you have USB 2 ports.

what p4 motherboard you have, if its intel i can tell you in a second........

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back