How to figure out what type of RAM I have?

A

alphabravo

I'm thinking about purchasing more ram for my computer, seeing as that it only has 512 at the moment, but I realized that there are a bunch of different types of RAM, and I want to know how do I find out what kind of RAM I have?

I would suggest powering off the computer, unplugging it, waiting a few minutes for the power to drain, opening the case, and taking one of the memory cards out.

All newer memory is clearly identified on the memory module itself.

If you know what kinda of computer you have, or the motherboard inside, I would suggest going to crucial.com. They have a nice series of drop downs that give you the RAM you need.

Oh and they also have a system scanner. ;)

option 2 - www.majorgeeks.com CPUz.exe Will read CPU ram MB, etc.

Make sure your MB can support more ram.
--Does it have 4 ram sockets?
--Will it work with 4 sticks of unbuffered RAM? Some boards won't.
--Do you need to add sticks in pairs or can you have an odd number of sticks with no loss in performance.

Only the MB manual will answer all of the above. Post back with what you find and someone here can confirm the info.

If you know what kinda of computer you have, or the motherboard inside, I would suggest going to crucial.com. They have a nice series of drop downs that give you the RAM you need.

Oh and they also have a system scanner. ;)
I was reading about that in the latest Maximum PC - really cool how it works :)

Nice tool from crucial. It was wrong, but nice tool.

It reported I am using AGP Graphics - I have PCI-e graphics.
It reported I have 2 empty RAM slots (total 4) - I only have 2 RAM slots.

I'd stick with CPUZ.exe, the MB manual and expert advice.

if you have a branded machine you can just go here and it will tell you what you have without opening your case of downloading pointless programs to clutter your system with.

http://www.kingston.com/branded/default.asp

look on the left for the various search options, you don't have to buy from them, but it'll tell you the kind of memory you have and how much more your system can handle.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back