How to enable Standby?

S

Slickone

On a system I built for a friend w/ an ECS K7S5A mobo and WinXP Pro, I can't find any way to manually put it in standby or sleep mode. Under Start->Turn Off Computer, the only options are Hibernate, Turn Off, or Restart.

I can make it BIOS to where the system's power switch puts it in standby, but I don't want to have to do it that way, but that shows it's capable of it.

Do I need to set a time for standby in the BIOS before it will be available in the OS? And will the time in XP override the time set in BIOS? I'm not near the PC or I would just check myself. BTW, ACPI is enabled.

Also, when booting after a Hibernation, it takes longer than doing a regular cold boot. Should it?

Thanks.

this was originally posted by dealer in the 'My Favorite Tweaks' thread.

Under the 'View' menu select "Show Hidden Devices". Double click NT/Apm/Legacy Interface
Node and enable device. De-select show hidden devices again and re-boot.

Now your PC will shutdown automatically.

Hope this helps. ;-)

o_87

Now your PC will shutdown automatically.

So you're this will also fix my (different) problem I asked about, which is to be able to select Standby?

sry about posting in the wrong thread, I dont know about your standby problem.

Yes, if Advanced Power Management(APM) is enabled (as mentioned in the post quoted by o_87), you should be able to use standby as well.

I wont be able to check that PC for a couple days to check, but I do know that it turns off on it's own when you do a shut down in Windows. Does that mean APM is enabled?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back