"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb"

I should mention first that my username, "melon," comes from a U2 fan club mix album of the same name. :p

So far, I think it is much much better than their last album, which was solid but boring, IMO. It's much harder to pick a "favorite" in this album, because I like a lot of them quite a bit! "Beautiful Day" was my clear favorite in their last, but I think if I had to pick just one, I would pick "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own," although I really like "Miracle Drug," "City of Blinding Lights," and "Original of the Species," as well!

I ended up buying the "Collector's Edition" with a CD, DVD, and 48-page book in fancy, DVD video size packaging. And I guess that since we're talking about this in a computer forum, I'm wondering if some countries' versions of this album have copy protection? It appears that the U.S. version doesn't.

Yeah...I'm not a big fan of the album title either. Seems a bit too "clever" for my tastes. Overall, though, a very enjoyable album!

Melon

jimi_81 said:
Any one have a favourite song off it?
I like Original of the Species

A Man And A Woman

It just has a perfect sound to me.

As for the album as a whole I do like the feel and sound. It seems to be a bit of a return to the old sound but with an update. It's definitely not wildly experimental.

The title doesn't shock me in the least. I'm not wild about it either but we're talking about U2 and Bono. Leave it to Bono to make the album have a political statement of some sort.

rotjong

melon, I also bought the Collector's Edition, but haven't had a chance to watch the DVD yet. I didn't even think about your username being from the remixes... they did quite a few with different fruit names -- papaya, banana, etc.

I haven't read through the book yet either, but I browsed through it last night and saw something along the lines of "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Don't build one." Makes sense to me! :p

muzikool said:
melon, I also bought the Collector's Edition, but haven't had a chance to watch the DVD yet. I didn't even think about your username being from the remixes... they did quite a few with different fruit names -- papaya, banana, etc.

I haven't read through the book yet either, but I browsed through it last night and saw something along the lines of "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Don't build one." Makes sense to me! :p

"Melon" is the only official remix album. All the other "fruits" are bootleg compilations made by fans. Some of the mixes in these are slightly tinkered versions of other mixes or just B-Sides taken off of "Achtung Baby" / "Zooropa" B-Sides.

The DVD is actually pretty enjoyable. I thought that it might be as relatively useless as the DVD that came with "The Best of 1990-2000" Limited Edition. Thankfully, it is far more entertaining.

Melon

Alright, I finally started to actually listen to this about two weeks ago. It's amazing. Definintely my kind of music. I can't believe I've ignored U2 this long...this is the first album I've listened to from them. Every song is very enjoyable to listen to...

So the question is, what other albums by U2 are worth getting?

Well you would have to get Joshua Tree to start, after that you can try their younger stuff, Boy or War and then fill in whatever your need is.

Grandmaster, so glad to hear you enjoy it and want more! I started listening to them in '96, and like you, I couldn't believe I had waited that long!

Like falconguard said, The Joshua Tree is mandatory. From there, I would pick up Achtung Baby, The Best of 1980-1990 and All That You Can't Leave Behind. If you really enjoy the 80-90 set, then you might look into getting some of the full albums from that decade.

Alternatively, you could get The Complete U2, a "digital box set" from iTunes. For $149, you get 446 songs that includes every album plus b-sides and unreleased tracks. I know that's quite a bit all at once, but it's a great price considering songs are $0.99 each on iTunes.

Post again sometime about what you've picked out and liked. I always love hearing opinions from new U2 fans! :D

ok ok let me tell you.....

I started to listen to them back in 1990, i listened to Actung baby solidly for like 2 yrs.

The Joshua Tree is an awesome album, quite probably in my view the best album of all time. BUT, the unforgettable fire is also a staggering album, this was where U2 got a lot of their ideas from for the JT. The title song "Unforgettable Fire", is my favorite song of U2, second "Running to stand still", then "Where the streets have no name".

If you really want to get into U2, go out and buy the concert DVD for the zooropa/actung baby tour, most of the live songs on there are better than the originals.

Now "Pop", that was a strange album and i found it hard to get into, i also think ATYCLB and HTDAAB, where a little slack in the imagination dept. but i think they got scared after "Pop's" relatively low sellability. Now they have released two so-so albums, i think the next one will go back to the more experimental frontier pushing style that lead them to where they are now.

U2 are still the best, but one more so-so album and they may still then be the biggest rock band in the world, but they sure wont be the best.

I should also mention Zooropa, this is a totally different album, but again the title song, played on high, is just great, it starts of quiet and slow and builds up and makes you really want to do something, (could be making PJ sandwiches) anything just so you're not standing still.

lancer said:
Now "Pop", that was a strange album and i found it hard to get into, i also think ATYCLB and HTDAAB, where a little slack in the imagination dept. but i think they got scared after "Pop's" relatively low sellability. Now they have released two so-so albums, i think the next one will go back to the more experimental frontier pushing style that lead them to where they are now.

U2 are still the best, but one more so-so album and they may still then be the biggest rock band in the world, but they sure wont be the best.

It's obvious that you're a big fan, and certainly entitled to your opinion of U2's music, but I have a hard time understanding why you consider the past two albums "so-so," especially HTDAAB. If you're referring to the progressive style of the music back in the 80's, then I might see why you don't consider the music as progressive now. But as far as Bono's writing is concerned, it is on par with or exceeding the levels of The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. I reference those two albums specifically because they are viewed as pinnacle achievements in U2's career. Nevertheless, U2's past two albums are amazing by themselves. I don't think you can compare The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, and it's not right to compare the latest with those or other albums either.

This is a new era for U2. What you've been hearing since 2000 is who they are today. They have, in a sense, returned to their roots. There is a simplicity in their music that was there in the 80's, and Bono's lyrics are as poetic and profound as ever. ATYCLB won a total of 7 Grammy Awards over 2 years' time and is considered by many sources as the best album of 2000. HTDAAB has already won 3 Grammys as of this week, and has been considered the best album of 2004 by some critics. It's also expected to sweep the awards in 2006. You can't always trust critics or music sources, but the response has been so overwhelmingly positive for these albums, that it's hard to say they are "so-so." But then again, it does come down to personal taste in the end, and I happen to love what U2 is doing now. :)

I see and respect your position. But you cannot seriously say that their music today is even vaguely close to even zooropa or actung baby, never mind the joshua tree.

The albums are meant for you to like them, they are not progressive in any sense and this grass roots nonsense that they are spouting, is simply a diversionary tactic to through you off the scent of there fear at failing, just like all the rest.

But like i said before i really hope and i think it will happen, that the next album is more brave, gives a little more than they have for 5yrs now.

Well, I am seriously saying that HTDAAB is close to Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree. I've never considered Zooropa to be in that grouping, never seen any critics put the album in that grouping, and never known a U2 fan to put it in that grouping either. I actually enjoy Pop quite a bit more than Zooropa.

As far as failing goes, I have read repeatedly from different sources that no other band has been around as long as they have and done what U2 has done... which is be successful. U2 has been making records for 25 years now and they still sell a million copies in a week, sell out concerts, win awards, gain praise and new fans. Just look at Grandmaster... he got hooked on U2 with HTDAAB. It's a powerful album. They aren't close to failing, and it's hard to be convinced that they are when you're the only one I've heard say that, after everything else I've heard and read points in the opposite direction.

my favorite song on the entire album is their hit song, Vertigo. also has a great music vid to go with it.

I'm really not joking. I don't understand why you think I am.

I can't access the Chicago Tribune link. Apparently I have to be a subscriber.

Zooropa won for Best Alternative Music Album, but ATYCLB won Album of the Year, 2 Records of the Year, and Best Rock Album (plus 3 others)... so I don't really see how Zooropa's award stacks up.

Rolling Stone - 4 out of 5 stars for ATYCLB and HTDAAB, the same as Zooropa
AllMusic - 4 out of 5 again
Time Magazine 2001 - U2 on cover, ATYCLB referred to as one of its most acclaimed albums in years
25 Reviews - a compilation of reviews from respected sources for HTDAAB
17 Reviews - the same as above for ATYCLB

You're right in that you aren't alone, but the opinion is still overwhelmingly positive for both of U2's past 2 albums. That they are "mediocre at best" is a minority opinion.

i'm not saying U2 are mediocre, but their last two albums compared to their previous ones where not very good.

I know you were referring to the last 2 albums as mediocre, not U2 themselves. I was simply providing evidence that your opinion of the 2 albums is in the minority, both through what I've heard from friends as well as the media and music critics.

ok ok, muzikool i don't think there is a big enough wall for us to piss up haha.

ok to appease you, one of my fav U2 songs is "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own ". no more to be said.

lancer bows out gracefully, but then trips going backwards and cries why... why....the horror..... the horror.....

we should rename this thread the lancer and muzikool debate sociaty thread :) or not your choice, REM rules haha. no really....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back