how to determine remote CPU

greggustin

OSNN Addict
I rented a server at a hosting company
what programs can I run to make sure they gave me what I order?
I have telnet to /root/root
and ftp to /root

already ran
free (memtest)
and df (disk check)

but do not know command to check CPU
or what program to upload /run for a total system check

BTW - I know NOTHING about Linux expect
ls and CD
and the 2 commands above I got from some website

ty

bad way to get into a Linux box if you know nothing about it.

find out more system info with:

dmesg

That will cause a scroll, so pipe it to more to see the entire thing.

As for a system check, consider it done if the system is running. If something was wrong, you would know. Check /var/log/messages (IIRC) for more info regarding things that might go wrong.

All your log files are in /var/log

as far as root/root, that is not a good idea to use telnet, use something like SSH instead which is far more secure, for some reason I doubt you are using telnet though, so that is all good.

I really suggest you download and install a Linux distribution locally, preferably the same one that they have installed for you, which is either Gentoo, Debian, CentOS or RHEL. If it is RHEL you can download CentOS instead which will give you the same experience needed to run RHEL.

Good luck.

thanks for all the info
I will look into it
and yes - I am doing ssh
(telnet was just easier to 'say')

ok
ran the ' dmesg '
lucky me - it was run in a cmd window as part of a 'windows' window with a scroll bar
found that it was a pIII - how can I determine it speed?

ahhh
just found this line =
"Detected 1002.301 Mhz Processor"

guess this means 1ghz PIII???
hardly what I WOULD call high end state-of-the-art server????

The older PIII servers had multiple processors on one MB. You are probably time sharing 1/4 of a MB with dedicated CPU and shared RAM. Unless it is a gaming server that's all you really need. Hosting is about bandwidth and data storage. The CPU isn't that challenged.

Speaking of which if it is a website or data storage host you want to check the download bandwidth and ping times.

The older PIII servers had multiple processors on one MB. You are probably time sharing 1/4 of a MB with dedicated CPU and shared RAM. Unless it is a gaming server that's all you really need. Hosting is about bandwidth and data storage. The CPU isn't that challenged.

Speaking of which if it is a website or data storage host you want to check the download bandwidth and ping times.

Does not have to be. Some hosting companies still offer lower CPU servers for less money.

@poster: Tell us what you supposedly ordered and from what company, that will tell us a lot more. If you want us to really check what kind of a server you are on, post the full dmesg in code tags.

the server is to operate as a proxy filter
I figured it should cost about $700
they told me it had to be a "very high end system"
charged me $2500 (no software - just hardware)
I took screen shots
will post them tommorrow

the server is to operate as a proxy filter
I figured it should cost about $700
they told me it had to be a "very high end system"
charged me $2500 (no software - just hardware)
I took screen shots
will post them tommorrow

Wow. I have a 1.0 Ghz machine downstairs that cost me all of $300 and it does proxy filtering just as well as any other machine out there. $2500 sounds a bit high.

Hell renting a server for proxy filtering should cost around $200 max for a server on a 100 Mbit pipe with 1200 GB of transfer available. And that would be a dual Xeon.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back