How to create an NT domain in XP

A

anewb

I am trying to install MS exchange and I get an error message telling me that I must create an NT domain before installation can continue.

Any Ideas?

OS = winxp pro
ME exchange server 97

exchange server (if its the regular Microsoft exchange) will only load on server..... a server setup in/as a domain... NT4 workstation, 2000 pro, xp home and pro will not support it and doesn't have the services it needs.

any version of ms exchange needs a domain already setup for it to be added to on load

It depends on what version of Exchange. If its Exchange 2000 you will need to setup active directory. If you do not know how to do this you need to read in the help files onhow to. It is not that complicated but it can be tricky.
Good Luck

AD still needs a dns domain...... its based on it
was trying to keep it simple

Thanks for the help

I take it I will need MS NT.

How would I set up the domain on NT4?

Thanks
();o)

Install the NT4 server and promote it to a DC, that's all you have to do. If you're running exchange 5.5 I recommend using NT4, but if you're using Exchange 2000, use Win2k for your domain. NT4 domains are much different from there succcessor (Win2k). If you were to run Exhange 5.5 on A Win2k box you would have to modify the Active Directory Schema, not a fun thing IMHO. Both the Exchange 2000 and Win2k use the LDAP protocol to access the directories... Ok I'm rambling on again :p

the key thing is you need a server OS to entertain exchange - be it nt4 server, or 2000 server depending on the version of exchange - check the requirements for the version you have.........

nt4 workstation, 2000 pro, xp pro will not as they are client OS's

:confused:

What is a DC?

I know its a stuip question.
Im good at harware and sofware still stups me.

();o)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back