How to create a User Profile Template

jonny813

OSNN Addict
Well, how does one go about this procedure?, Saw it mentioned in a post by kcnychief in the last thread here but nothing on the creation of one. Also what are the benefits, if a an account has problems, could I refresh it with the template? Thnx

jonny.. why not share your solutions for the rest of the forum to enjoy :)

Kept getting "You sent a request the server cannot understand" so here's a text document :)

On the e.g of stage 11.It should read
\\SERVER\Profiles\Template
\\SERVER\Profiles\User1
\\SERVER\Profiles\User2
\\SERVER\Profiles\User3

^My preferred formatting wouldn't stick

Attachments

• How To Create A User Profile Template.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:
Quoting text file above in case users don't want to download.

Sorry bout that:

1. On the Server create a share e.g.Profiles\Template and assign Read access to all but Administrators *Create a Template folder so if a account becomes corrupt you can assign a fresh profile instead of redoing this procedure*
2. Create an account on any client machine from Active Directory e.g.Mandatory
3.Logon to this account and set features as you see fit e.g.remove MSN and Games from start menu.*NOTE any special features such as changing the Control Panel to open as a menu can be done here, as this cannot be achieved through Group Policy*
4.Log out of this user and logon as a Local Administrator
5.Go to My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>View Tab and uncheck Show Hidden Files and Folders and Hide Protected System Files
6.Navigate to C:Documents and Settings\Mandatory and rename ntuser.bat to ntuser.man
7.Now Start>Control Panel>System and Maintenance>System, and move to the Advanced tab and then click on User Profiles
8.Select Mandatory and select Copy To
9.Under Permitted To Use click Change and type EVERYONE *You'll be asked for your network credentials so use Administrator.....or equivalent
10.Click Browse and navigate to the share created e.g.Profiles\Template and select Copy To (just click through the proceeding warning)
11. Once copied go to the server and create a new folder under Profiles for each user
e.g.\\SERVER\Profiles\Template
\user1
\user2
\user3

. Copy the contents of the Template folder into the users
. Now go into AD and select the users one by one and copy in the share name on the Profiles tab

e.g.\\SERVER\Profiles\user1

*You can use just one copy of the profile for a group of users if you like but items such as Recent Documents can be seen by the different users so this, albeit longer way is useful for privacy.

*If you have problems (like me) with a warning on not being able to update the user profile on logoff then you must give the users/groups write access to the Profiles share.

e.g.(Using a drive mapping on the server to the Profiles folder)

S:profiles<Right Click on the Drive and add the Security permissions to the necessary users/groups

If you want help on explaining any of that just ask:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back