How to create a shortcut to Switch User?

S

Squibbles

I've been looking for a way to create a shortcut for 'fast user switching.'

I want to have an icon on my desktop to do this.

Thanks!

Rightclick desktop - new - shortcut - type or paste in %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation - choose a name - done.
This shortcut brings up the welcome screen without logging off users.

Sweeet!! Thanks!

I have another question:

Is there a way to put a 128 x 128 pixel icon on my desktop without using Active Desktop?

I want to have a large icon for Switch User.

Thanks.

No you can not use icons of different size. The setting you choose applies to all desktop icons, and to all the other icons everywhere else.
You could however make it look as if, if you insert a picture of the icon directly into your wallpaper and then choose a transparent icon for your actual shortcut. To increase the hover area choose a long name with many spaces for the shortcut. Just an idea.

you know, I never downloaded the new power toys, so I don't know if it's still there, but in the old power toys, windows key+q switched users...this is very sweet.

btw.

if you are using differant users, it is very improtant to have a big initial minimum on the pagefile.

xp will store your user apps in the pagefile when you switch users, to make the ram available to the new user

I did some searching and I found a way to change Desktop Icon Sizes:

1. Open Regedit
2. Then open: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Desktop\WindowMetrics...
3. Then modify: Shell Icon Size
4. Set it to 128.

And restart.

But it enlarges ALL Icons, not only desktop icons.

This will change not only the desktop icons, but every icon including startmenu and icons inside folders. You'll have to see if you like it this way.
Dealer, the user switcher power toy is no longer part of the new power toy set. Probably MS did remove it because it didn't work very well on many systems.
Forgot to mention Windows key + L will have the same effect as the above mentioned desktop shortcut.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back