how to copy music from the ipod

IDLE

OSNN Senior Addict
can you pull the music of your ipod using itunes?

I think there is a way of doing it actually, for when you reformat your computer etc, and it involves enabling "disk use" on the ipod, which causes it to act as a mass storage device.

Don't ask me any more than that tho, until I next reformat my computer I am clueless!

SPeedY_B said:
No... you put the music there in the first place, why would you need it back ;)

However, there are plenty of downloads on iLounge which will aid your cause: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod-software/

im just trying to pull it off the ipod because i want the listen to my music at work. i would upload on my host but they are watchin our internet use.

is there a way to listen to the ipod through the computer?

I *think* ... but I'm not 100% sure, you can listen to the music in iTunes, from a connected iPod, you just can't actually pull it off the iPod onto your local hard disk.

As I said though, there are plenty of tools available from iLounge (link above) to get files from the iPod.

Here is Apple's preferred method for using your iPod to move your music library to a new computer:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

This method does work (i've done it) as long as you have not used up all your "authorized computers" in iTunes

edit:
I *think* ... but I'm not 100% sure, you can listen to the music in iTunes, from a connected iPod, you just can't actually pull it off the iPod onto your local hard disk.

This is true as well. When you install iTunes on your other computer, make sure you set the iPod NOT to synchrnoize on connect (since you don't have any music on the iTunes on your work computer, it will overwrite all the music on the iPod). You should see your iPod in iTunes when it connects and the music on it and you should be able to select the music and hit the play button to listen directly off your iPod.

The problem with importing your library over is that there is no easy way to keep/maintain two libraries in synch with eachother.

I suppose, if you dont' want to maintain two seperate libraries, the easist thing to do would be to just play the music directly off the iPod..

fitz said:
This method does work (i've done it) as long as you have not used up all your "authorized computers" in iTunes

Strip the DRM in the first place, and your worries are over... forever.

Anybody needs to know how - PM me if you cannot track it via Google.

There is an app called slimserver, that will let you access your library from another computer, and you can even use Itunes or Winamp.

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html
You can then use slimserver across a network or through Ssh
The client app is called squeezesoft and you can get from Source forge.

Mastershakes said:
Strip the DRM in the first place, and your worries are over... forever.

Anybody needs to know how - PM me if you cannot track it via Google.

None of the tools I know of work if you have upgrade to iTunes 6

fitz said:
None of the tools I know of work if you have upgrade to iTunes 6

fitz the link that you gave me from apple did the trick. thanks a bunch for the link!!!
gave rep points

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back