How to completely delete internet history

UltimaFury

OSNN Newbie
I go to internet options and delete internet history and then i exit IE. but one day i got back on and checked by history and saw (by clicking the history icon on the IE toolbar) that my history that was supposedly deleted earlier was not deleted. :dead: Am i doing something wrong? Thanks

you have to select everything there to delete.. About the best I can say though is this. If you want to delete things when the browser closes, Maxthon does a good job of it. Or, you can get Crap Cleaner. It deletes all the internet stuff plus some. You can go to the site here: www.ccleaner.com or but clicking hte icon in my sig ...

i did what you recommended and ran Ccleaner a few times and my internet history still shows up!! Any other suggestions?

Did you reboot after running CCleaner?

CCleaner marks the index.dat files for deletion on reboot.

did you select analyze, then select run cleaner ??? if you did it right. You should have got rid of everything ..

I get this problem all the time at work, there is a way around it however! All you need to do, I think, is open up your history in IE. Right-click My Computer, and choose delete. Then close IE, run Ccleaner, and hopefully, the entire history will be clear. I have absolutely no idea why this happens, but since about 3 months ago I have had to do this to clear my history almost every time.

If that doesn't work then I don't know. :dead:

Steganos Security Suite enables you to run the history cleaner plus many other cleaners such as temp files and recycle bin - either automatically when you close all IE browsers or when you click the one-touch shredder icon. To be safe, you can select different levels of shredding/overwriting with 0's and 1's to goverment standards.

http://www.steganos.de/?language=en&layout=default

With regards to government standards there is no "standard" for erasing hard drives which have been used for storing classified information. They all have to be destroyed... what a waste...

:(

Mike A!

If you format your hard drive, it should get rid of everything for you :cool:

Nuking Content.ie5

Bring up a command prompt. (Start, Run, cmd [Enter])
Navigate to the following directory (cd documents and settings....)
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

%username% being your username (sub it in)

Bring up Task Manager, go to processes tab. End Explorer.exe
Now use ALT+TAB to cycle back to your command prompt.

type in rd /s /q content.ie5
exit the command prompt
ALT+TAB to task manager - click on new task, and type in explorer.exe

:) Done. (not positive if History is stored in folder, but it nukes all the crap)

Personally, as suggested I now use CCleaner. So much more space.... so much.

Enjoy

Remember to delete your cookies too. A few ways to do that, simplest is Internet Options > Delete Cookies. Otherwise whatever your trying to hide may still be easily found.

As Zombie mentioned, ccleaner should wipe all history, cookies, ect...
it should work without having to reboot. no other means are necessary, ccleaner does it all....:)

Some peeps have given some rather basic means to elliminate browser history. If you want to be doubly certain you can try E3 (not to be confused with Evidence Elliminator). You can find that here

http://radsoft.net/resources/software/reviews/ee/e3/

E3 The Evidence Eliminator Eliminator is all that Evidence Eliminator is - all that is missing is Bubba, a maxed out Registry, destructive stealth files, non-existent support and the price. In contrast to E-E, E3 works - it can defeat both forensic software and hardware - and it comes with Radsoft's renowned support.

...E3 The Evidence Eliminator Eliminator will perform the following tasks for you.

Eliminate Evidence-Eliminator.
Eliminate all the Recycle Bins.
Eliminate all junk files (you specify which regular expressions to search for).
Eliminate the App Log.
Eliminate TEMP.
Eliminate Recent - both on disk and in the Registry.
Eliminate the Run MRU.
Eliminate the Find MRUs.
Eliminate the typed URLs.
Eliminate Autocomplete information.
Eliminate Temporary Internet Files - including index.dat.
Eliminate History - including index.dat.
Eliminate Cookies - including index.dat.
Eliminate Outlook's Deleted Items.dbx and Sent Items.dbx.
Eliminate the Media Player MRU.
Eliminate NC3 typed URLs.
Eliminate the NC cache.
Eliminate NC history (netscape.dat, netscape.hst).
Eliminate NC cookies (cookies.txt).
Eliminate NC's prefs.js and liprefs.js.
Eliminate NC SNM files.
Eliminate NC's email "Trash" folder.
Eliminate NC's email "Sent" folder.
Eliminate system Registry backups.

There's a whole list of programs it eliminates the junk left behind by as well. This is assuming it's your computer/hard drive and you have access to install software. If it's another computer you're using, the best bet would be to grab a Knoppix CD (if the previous mentioned methods of history removal aren't what you're looking for), and just boot up into Knoppix.

Son Goku said:
If it's another computer you're using, the best bet would be to grab a Knoppix CD (if the previous mentioned methods of history removal aren't what you're looking for), and just boot up into Knoppix.

Or, you could use bartpe ..

Sazar said:

Hehe... someone might actually listen to you Sazar and then what?

:rolleyes:

Hi,
My company has created a product that could solve this problem. Our software, ControlHistory allows you to selectively or completely delete your history. You can download it from ControlHistory.com. It supports
IE (ver. 6+)
Firefox (ver. 3+)
Chrome (ver. 1+)
Google Desktop Search
Many programs like MS Word, Excel, Acrobat Reader, WinRAR, 7-Zip, etc. that save their history in the Registry.

You can use the software for free to view your history but to be able to delete it you need a license. The cost of a license is USD 0.99 (99 cents).

Last edited:
With regards to government standards there is no "standard" for erasing hard drives which have been used for storing classified information. They all have to be destroyed... what a waste...

:(

Mike A!

Shotgun works better, 12 gauge buck shot, loads of fun. :D

Well, not if you wanted to reuse the HDD. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back