How to Check FPS in games

T

tokey22

Hey!

was just wondering how to check your FPS while playing games?

thanks

Well if the game has a built in FPS meter you can use that but if it hasn't you can't.
(Unless there's a really nifty app to do it for you, but I don't think it's even possible to make one...)

In Half Life - Dod2 , you bring down the console and type in a command, I'm not sure what it was now and you get a little meter in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, Once U've put this command in it stays there each time u play the game.

in HL, hit the "~" key (don't use shift) to bring down the console and then type "netgraph_3" (without the quotes).

every game these days usually comes with a built in command for showing fps. my advice for other games is to rtfm!

it all depends on the game. any game imparticular?

I have a program called fraps that displays fps in just about everything you would want. Give it a try, it might be just what you're looking for.

http://www.fraps.com/

specific games.

diablo 2, jedi knight 2: jedi outcast, tony hawk pro skater 3

cheers!

Fraps does work really well with any game that doesn't provide you with the FPS in any manner. It also allows you to log the FPS so that you can take an average of what your FPS might be in given situations. Very useful, and it's free. :)

thanks!

what does FSAA mean? and how do i disable it?

i have a nVidia GeForce2 MX 200 64MB

also, how do i turn on AGP Fastwrite?
I can't seem to find a "fastwrite" option in my system bios settings. and when i use riva tuner, the report says fastwrite is supported but disabled and i can't figure out how to enable it?

Thanks!

Also if you want to check your frame rate in Diablo II, or in the Expansion with out having to run an external program you can just type 'fps', with out the quotes, into the chat window once you are in a game. it will show you the fr, how many frames are being skipped, and your memory usage, both physical and page file.

Note: the 'fps' command will not work in chat channels on b.net.

Re: thanks!

Originally posted by tokey22
what does FSAA mean? and how do i disable it?
Full Screen Anti Aliasing. Smooths the picture to make it look better. Draws hella lot of power*. Turn it off in your display settings (under Advanced) if you use Detonator.
also, how do i turn on AGP Fastwrite?
I can't seem to find a "fastwrite" option in my system bios settings. and when i use riva tuner, the report says fastwrite is supported but disabled and i can't figure out how to enable it?
Umm... AGP Fastwrites is one of those things you turn off to fix problems with random reboots and BSOD:s when using Geforce and WinXP. Besides I don't think the performance inpact is so big. Leave it off?

*The trick is to render the image at 2x or 4x the size (800x600 becomes 1600x1200 or so) and the size it down again. Some new techniques have come though and I don't know their details.

i know the command for diablo ii (diablo ii and diablo ii : lod)

they are the same command for the same game

press enter and the chat box will come out and you type this

"fps" (without quotes)

and you will get ur ping, fps etc!

they block your chat messages so, if you find them irritiaing, and you decided to remove them, do the following :

press enter and the chat box will come out and you type this

"fps" (without quotes)

hope it helps u all ..... :D

Thanks for your help guys!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back