How to charge a stranger.

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I answered an ad on Craigslist, some guy wanting a tech to do some quick repair work. The ad said part time, so I figured it would be a good way to get some extra cash by putting in a few hours on nights/weekends. Turns out it'll be a one time thing, he just has a handful of computers with a trojan he wants removed and an upgrade from Vista to Win7 done. Here is the deal, he asked my rates and I haven't the slightest clue what to charge the dude. If I say too much I'm afraid he'll just say no and that'll be the end. If I say to low then I'm just wasting my time and setting a bad precedent if he calls back. So what do you guys think ... 7 computers, I think the upgrade will take longer than the trojan. In fact I'm thinking the best way to do it might be just say to hell with fixing the trojan and just to a clean install of Win7. I'd guess if I could do all the machines at the same time, this could be done in a few hours. This is in Sioux Fall by the way, town of 150k people, so I can't charge Chicago or other big city rates, which I'm guessing are MUCH higher.

Last I heard rates for geek squad etc were running $85-105 per hour. Auto mechanics are $135-225 an hour, plumbers $200 an hour for comparison if he gripes.

You need to scope the job - if he wants an upgrade without data loss (that includes loss of installed applciaiton configuration) then clean install is not an option. Vista to Win 7 is a piece of cake. The malware removal cpould be a nightmare. If there's old hardware the drivers could be a problem.

I'd do an hourly rate for malware removal, fixed rate for a Vista to Wn 7 upgrade.

Define your liability if data is lost.

Also, find out what he does for a living/what the PCs are used for. If he's in a high dollar business you can push pricing higher.

Google what does malware removal cost. If he has any brains he already did to scope his costs.

Good info, thanks for that.

His email sig says CEO of a local company. One that I've never heard of. Also his account is a gmail account. So CEO is probably a prestige thing more than anything else.

I never even thought about spelling out my liability so now I'm REALLY glad I posted this question. I'm going to email him and try to get some more details out of him. Then I'll probably spell out hourly for malware and fixed for the other, just like you said. That seems like a really great idea.

Thanks again. I'll try to give some reps ... if I can.

This is the same problem I face when I fix someone's computer.

Also, if he isn't going to pay for the Win7 upgrade and wants to use other means of getting it I wouldn't do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back