How to change windows registered user details (renamed)

buster33

OSNN Newbie
Hello Everyone,
I ordered a laptop for my wife and , despite me supplying a username--they have installed XP pro using simply "user".
I can easily change login and Documents name, but how can I change user to xxxxxxx(hername).
Each time we install anything it shows the default owner as user and I'd like to change that.
To try and do it in Docs & Settings gets an error message that the folder is required by windows and cannot be renamed or moved.

Any & all help will be greatly appreciated

Re: Owner Incorrect Name--how to change

grab trial version of tuneup utilities - they have a section where you can change all that information, or you could look at registry hacks

That can be done in the registry but if you try this just back it up. :)

Link

I was just going to say the registry method. It works really good. I do it all the time. You can use it to change your registered owner and organization.

Click Start, and then click Run.

Type regedit, and then click OK.

Locate the following registry key: (use Search - press cntrl+f)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

To change the company name, do the following:

In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOrganization. Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.

To change the name of the registered owner, do the following:

In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOwner. Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.

Click Exit on the File menu to quit Registry Editor.

Reboot your pc.

Also search for RegOwner as some software uses the shortened version.

Johnny hit the nail on the head, however, you do not need to restart for the change to be made.

vote sticky

Concur - Vote Sticky ..

Following along these same lines how do I change the entire directory name system wide. For example my current directory path is C:/Document and Setting/Maveric169/.... how can I change the "Maveric169" part to something like C:/Document and Settings/MyPC/....

Following along these same lines how do I change the entire directory name system wide. For example my current directory path is C:/Document and Setting/Maveric169/.... how can I change the "Maveric169" part to something like C:/Document and Settings/MyPC/....

The last post was two years ago.....so you get an award.

Attachments

• htrb.jpg
    htrb.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 970
Persoanlly I would have just went to RUN and typed "control userpasswords2" then modified the "Full Name" of whatever user... BTW this still works for Win7/Vista.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back