How to change it back to Windows format?

• Thread starter jake123456789
  • Start date
J

jake123456789

I am using Windows Xp Pro Edition, Recently, I went to DOS in Windows, I remove a file and the close the it, now my other partition with documents, files, mp3 ect all in dos format.

How can I change it back to windows normal?

First there is no DOS in Windows XP. What do you mean by 'the partition is in DOS format'? What happens?

Windows XP still have DOS! my files just become dos format with limit of 8 char, ~1 such as CURREN~1

WinXP does not have DOS, it has DOS emulation, so you can use the type of DOS prompt window and navigate with DOS commands.

Dunno about the NTFS using 8.3 filenames, which command did you use to delete the file, lookin through the MS KB, I cant find anything about it, only things sayin that some commands used in DOS on XP will use 8.3 names, but it doesnt say anything about it changin them all to 8.3 filenames.

type exit at the dos aka command prompt and you will go back to your windows

seriously I will be pissin myself if it is that easy

I have no idea what this guy is talking about... windows xp in no way shape or form does 8.3 format. only Dos does and windows xp dosent have dos. it has a dos emulator and thats it. Dos has been gone from windows since Win Me. Thats what make it more stable now. No dos 16 bit conflicts to lock and crash programs. If his file system in windows is showing the 8.3 format it might be a bug. the only other solution I can think of is to do a restore point. :D

Windows still creates 8.3 filenames by default for compatibility reasons. If I understand the question right Explorer now displays all file and folder names in this format. Never have seen or heard about this. Agree with PseudoKiller system restore may be worth a try.

Dos has been gone from windows since Win Me??

sorry I disagree windows me was a 9x based os and Uncle Bill made a point in the XP unveiling to say goodbye to C:/ as he presented XP to the world because it was at that point that our good old DOS was laid to rest ... it was a sad day

Originally posted by Kermit
Dos has been gone from windows since Win Me??

sorry I disagree windows me was a 9x based os and Uncle Bill made a point in the XP unveiling to say goodbye to C:/ as he presented XP to the world because it was at that point that our good old DOS was laid to rest ... it was a sad day

right which is why that ME was the last Windows OS to have DOS

Just so everyone reading this understands, it's not a matter of "having" DOS, but rather what the OS Kernel actually is. All Windows Operating Systems up to and through Windows ME were built on a DOS Kernel. That means that the Operating System was actually DOS with Windows Graphical User Interface then built on top of it.

Windows XP is built on the NT kernel, which means the OS is actually NT with an XP interface. There is no DOS substructure in with XP, though the command prompt does recognize and utilize many of the same commands (in fact, many more) as DOS did. Hope this helps a little.

There was DOS in WinME, but compared to Win98 or any other precursor, the level of DOS was severly limited.

hmm... sarcasm is probably not needed, but.... that's why you should never delete anything from the command prompt unless you know EXACTLY what the file is and what it does.

Originally posted by ElementalDragon
hmm... sarcasm is probably not needed, but.... that's why you should never delete anything from the command prompt unless you know EXACTLY what the file is and what it does.

Guess you should not delete anything anywhere if you do not know what it is and what it does. :p

the last restore point I did is last yr and I cant roll back!

I using 3 boot windows 98, eng windows xp and chinese windows Xp, it work fine with with other OS.

If I reinstall (not clean install) will it change back?:confused:

Is there anymore option to choice! I need help badly...

It is hard to predict whether a repair install will fix your problem, a very unique problem obviously. Did I understand you right that the problem only appears on one partition and not on all? What happens if you copy or move a file to another partition? Does it keep this 8dot3 file name?

got dat right!

have you tried doing a repair with the xp cd?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back