How to change application icons?

H

HawkInDBQ

Does anyone know how to change an icon for an applications exe like MS Word, Excel, and Internet Explorer?

I know how to change the icons for shortcuts to these apps, but I can't figure out how to change the icon for the app itself. For instance if I right-click on Internet Explorer on my desktop and select properties, I don't see anything on any of the tabs that would let me change the icon.

Thanks.

you'll have to search around the boards...it's a pain in the butt to do I hear ya gotta actually replace the icons that are in Shell32.dll to change them...

Neowin.net has a few good articles on changing it..I find neowin is a wealth of info when it comes to icons and things of that nature...but any other problems nothing beats xp-erience!

I used resourse hacker on one of my programs for this purpose. You have to open the program and replace it's default icon with the one of your choice. Doing it this way will show your icon of choice when the program is running too. When you do a hack with Resource Hacker, it will automatically save a copy of your original file in the directory you open the program file from, good feature in case something mucks up. You can get a copy of resource hacker from the downloads section.

Here's an example of what i'm talking about... the ugly black and white one, upper left is the one i replaced with the nice looking music note... you can see it shows while the program is running too:

Thanks for the info. I will give this a whirl and see what shakes out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back