How to change application icons?

H

HawkInDBQ

Does anyone know how to change an icon for an applications exe like MS Word, Excel, and Internet Explorer?

I know how to change the icons for shortcuts to these apps, but I can't figure out how to change the icon for the app itself. For instance if I right-click on Internet Explorer on my desktop and select properties, I don't see anything on any of the tabs that would let me change the icon.

Thanks.

Qumahlin

OSNN Veteran Addict
you'll have to search around the boards...it's a pain in the butt to do I hear ya gotta actually replace the icons that are in Shell32.dll to change them...

Neowin.net has a few good articles on changing it..I find neowin is a wealth of info when it comes to icons and things of that nature...but any other problems nothing beats xp-erience!

Lonman

Bleh!
I used resourse hacker on one of my programs for this purpose. You have to open the program and replace it's default icon with the one of your choice. Doing it this way will show your icon of choice when the program is running too. When you do a hack with Resource Hacker, it will automatically save a copy of your original file in the directory you open the program file from, good feature in case something mucks up. You can get a copy of resource hacker from the downloads section.

Here's an example of what i'm talking about... the ugly black and white one, upper left is the one i replaced with the nice looking music note... you can see it shows while the program is running too:

H

HawkInDBQ

Thanks for the info. I will give this a whirl and see what shakes out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy? :(
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahulpandy