How To: Build a Silent PC (...using cooking oil)

Very Interesting. Making hardware changes would not be very fun though.

Its been done many times before THG did it...

some people have gone so far as to cool the oil to sub-zero Celsius temps....

too funny..

Ok call me sceptical, but how is that monitor actually connected to the PC? I can see no cables whatsoever. I'm not saying it's a hoax or anything, I'm just more confused than anything else.

Logic would dictate that one could get things quieter with liquid cooling, rather then fan based, but wondering about there being no circulation.

Having some form of refriguration on the oil would also seem to help...

BTW, several pages latter, they mention using distilled water, which is probably not the best idea for any long term use. True, it's what's in the water that can lead to the conducting of electricity, however distilled water doesn't tend to remain "pure" for very long. It can also pick stuff up from the atmosphere rather rapidly. The main reason why back in chemistry class and the like, we only kept distilled water around for a short period of time before dumping it.

Son Goku said:
Logic would dictate that one could get things quieter with liquid cooling, rather then fan based, but wondering about there being no circulation.

Having some form of refriguration on the oil would also seem to help...

BTW, several pages latter, they mention using distilled water, which is probably not the best idea for any long term use. True, it's what's in the water that can lead to the conducting of electricity, however distilled water doesn't tend to remain "pure" for very long. It can also pick stuff up from the atmosphere rather rapidly. The main reason why back in chemistry class and the like, we only kept distilled water around for a short period of time before dumping it.
ray_gillespie said:
Ok call me sceptical, but how is that monitor actually connected to the PC? I can see no cables whatsoever. I'm not saying it's a hoax or anything, I'm just more confused than anything else.

Well guys if you read the entire article at Toms Hardware it tells you both answers:

@Ray they used a DVI-VGA adapter and used silicone and a plexiglass barrier to seal it in...

@SonGoku They tried using the distilled water and 5 minutes later leakage currents forced a hard shutdown, no damage was done, just remember, if they can make purification systems like they use in nuclear power plants, water submersing would be the next "BG THING" in computers, there would be no need for fans.... since the reverse osmosis/filtered water is 99.9999% pure water, it has no conductive properties.... which is why they STILL use water in Nuclear Power Plants.. nothing cools better.... YET...
(that is safe for the environment)

mlakrid said:
Well guys if you read the entire article at Toms Hardware it tells you both answers:

@Ray they used a DVI-VGA adapter and used silicone and a plexiglass barrier to seal it in...

@SonGoku They tried using the distilled water and 5 minutes later leakage currents forced a hard shutdown, no damage was done, just remember, if they can make purification systems like they use in nuclear power plants, water submersing would be the next "BG THING" in computers, there would be no need for fans.... since the reverse osmosis/filtered water is 99.9999% pure water, it has no conductive properties.... which is why they STILL use water in Nuclear Power Plants.. nothing cools better.... YET...
(that is safe for the environment)

Actually, 5 minutes wouldn't be enough time for distilled water to pick up a lot of contaiminents from the atmosphere (relatively speaking), or our chemical experiements (with the chemical solutions disolved in distilled water) would have been toast. In the case of chemistry, it was a concern because impurities could influence the outcome of the chemical reaction.

For computers it's how the contaiminents can help carry charge... Actually there is an alternative that I've heard about in the past for water cooling systems, which is supposed to be a non-conductive liquid. That would seem a better alternative to distilled water if one was going to try this.

However, unless enough heat dissipates off the top (there is some air, above the layer of water in there), and out of the case, some form of circulation, which allows warmed liquid (which picked heat up from the CPU and other components) to be circulated out, cooled, and back in, could help for extended running.

Keep in mind, I'm also thinking in terms of 24/7 operation, and the desire to prevent any heat buildup in the solution itself, over extended running time (even several years without shutdown time)...

Also, as to nuclear power plants, it's been awhile, but as I remember, the cooling around the nuclear core isn't exactly the same as an environment where an electric field is present. The sort of radiation that is emited from the core, where the actual nuclear reaction is taking place is of another sort... Also, isn't the water around the nuclear core, also being circulated (as I had suggested) rather then stagnant? I used to know some peeps who worked around nuclear energy, too bad I can't ask them anymore...

Edit: Perhaps not the best source, but what I was remembering in part:

http://www.state.hi.us/dbedt/ert/electgen.html

In a nuclear power plant, nuclear reactions create heat to heat water, which turns into steam, which goes through a turbine, which spins...turning the copper armature inside the generator and generating an electric current.

Electricity isn't being developed directly from the nuclear reaction, but rather the nuclear reaction is indirectly "powering" the process for production of electricity, from the turbines themselves.... Also, as to the steam, boiling water (aka creating steam) and then condensing it is a known method for distilling water itself...

Last edited:
Once better bearing use with magnets is done, you will hear the noise drop quite a lot ..

mlakrid said:

Actually, I was referring more to the fact that there is no evidence to suggest that the monitor is connected to THAT particular PC.
I've always trusted THG, mostly anyway, but that footage is still suspicious to me :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back