How to boot with XP CD to repair?

D

DarkSiege

I need to know how to do this to repair a messed up dll file.

Assuming it is a legal copy of XP, it should just boot off of the CD automatically if you have that option enable in your BIOS. If that doesn't work, you can download a program from Microsoft's website that will make boot disks for your particular version of XP.

Can you tell me the address for downloading the boot disc from Microsoft?

from START - RUN - type:
sfc /scannow
and press ENTER

I can't even boot into windows. This error comes up saying a dll file won't load and I have to repair the file.

Are those the same discs for setting up windows without having a previous OS installed?

Yes, just choose repair off of the menu instead of clean install. This should fix the problem that you are having with the dll error.

AKHeero

When I went to repair, it gave me C:windows\ What command do I type in to repair?

help you

Make sure you boot from cd -rom in bios!!

Then at first notice of repair?ignore and carry on till it
gives you the ,next option to repair .

THEN: you should run through windows setup again
and it will rebuild your damaged or corrupt files.;)

I told you, my CD just doesn't boot into this menu where I can select all that stuff. Help please...

dos

Can you get to dos promt or command /what ever?

If you can reply to post.

No, SFC /scannow is a Windows command and will only work from within the GUI.

If you have the originai XP CD it will get you to the correct place.

1) Change your bios to boot to the CD
2) When it boots it will immediately recognize XP is installed and offer to take you to repair console. Bypass this option and tell it to continue to install.
3) Two screens later you will be given the option to do a Repair Install. Select this option by pressing "R" (or just hilight the option and press "Enter") and the system will do a repair install, overwriting and repairing damaged or missing system files.
4) Remember to change the boot order back when you are done.

So I have to re-install I guess....noo...the terrible fate...

No man, just do a repair install as described above. It will only fix the missing or damaged system files. If you follow the directions for the repair, your registry will be left (pretty much) alone and you will not have to reinstall programs.

no

Not all is lost!!Do You have two drives?partition or backup?
If you have other pc or hard drive handy ?SET windows up
on another hard drive transfere the file ,that way?
MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR DRIVE JUMPERS RIGHT ;)

The only problem is, I can't use the CD to repair...(It's pirated crap)...me too poor to get another HD...:(

know

Do you know anyone with xp?
If so remove your h/d and ask the to copy
the missing dll to you sys32,folder.:cool:

Re: know

Originally posted by CHUBB
Do you know anyone with xp?
If so remove your h/d and ask them to copy
the missing dll to you sys32,folder.:cool:
:)

MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A SPARE IDE CHANNEL.:eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back