How to almost kill your TI4600

GoNz0

NTFS Stoner
well i figured today that i had owned the above card for about a year, when i got the card the 1st thing i did was remove the heatsink and replace with arctic silver on all 8 ram chips and the 4600 core.

took it apart today and noticed a few of the ram sinks had seperated into oil/silver. this is because i had to use it quite thick as the asus copper heatsink covers everything, both sides of the card so it is not by a long shot lapped and flat like a cpu sink is.

anyway, i replaced the 4600 core and the top 4 ram chips with artic silver ceramique, from a tester they sent me a while back..

sods law i ran out b4 i got to the bottom heatsink, so i used some AC3 i had. little did i realise i blob of ac3 had got between a couple of contacts during removal.

1st sign was the monitor shutting off for no reason. then on reboot i ran 3d mark and the pic was jumping all over the place...

OMG nooooooo i thought i had killed it. so apart she comes again, and with squinting eyes i found the blob of AC3.

it lives again :confused: thank f00k....
v8460d-128m.jpg

You dont need to lay on arctic silver thick. A very thin layer covering the chip is all that is needed. Actually the thicker you apply it, the LESS effective it turns out to be. Just a little tip.

JJB

i know that JJB, the only reason was the fact it didnt mate well on a thin layer, so i had to build it up in places until it coverd the heatsink properly, like i posted, its a all in 1 heatsink that covers 4 of the ram chips on the top plate :)

thats why i used artic silver ceramique this time, it can be used in thicker layers without the seperation problem of the AC3 product. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back