How To Access The Internet Thru A Hub???

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
HI. I have a router and 2 pc is connected to it. one win2000 and one xp pro. they can see each other through the workgroup but my problem is I can't access the internet by using the win2000 pc. how do I set this up. when i ping the static ip address i get a reply. packets are sent and received too. my observation is the xp pro pc when i checked the ipconfig, there is a suffix for the DNS, IP address data, subnet mask and the default gateway BUT for the win2000 pc, i only get the IP address data and subnet mask, no DNS suffix and default gateway.
Please help. Thank you.

OPS! blank reply...

anyway, add the DNS manually to my win2000 pc copied DNS from xp pro pc? aside from the dns, what else? thanks.

do you have the router configured as a DHCP server? It should automatically assign it, anyways, you can manually assign IP, subnet, gateway, and DNS servers. I do on all my PC's.

how do i setup the router as the DHCP server? i did manually added the 2 DNS i got from the ipconfig result of my xp pc to my win2000 pc, in process of restarting it.

lets go back a few steps, are both PCs connected to the same router, or is there a hub involved? I'm coinfused as to why one would receive DHCP and the other doesn't. Is the DHCP client service running? Firewalled?

The router should be a DHCP server by default.

the 2 pcs are connected to a router only (is a router and a hub different? )... I don't know how to check if the DHCP server is firewalled. i appreciate your assistance.

yes a router and hub are different :)

Make sure both PC's are set to receive IP's and DNS automatically, should work. I mean is there a firewall on the PC that isn't receiving the DNS info?

the 2 pcs are setup to receive IP's an DNS automatically but my problem is when I click on the Internet Explorer, it can't access the internet but both of the pcs can see each other thru the workgroup. i am really at a lost here... :(

well is the DNS info getting added to both PC's? Run ipconfig /all and paste the info.

for the win2000, since i added manually the DNS, the DNS are showing but no Default Gateway. for the xp pc it has the same DNS and it has a Default Gateway.

you need to add the gateway, that is why it cannot connect to the internet. You didn't have ICS on the PC before did you?

i will manually add the gateways... i'll copy the gateways from the xp pc.

The gateway is the router address, should be 192.168.1.1

did manually added the gateways, IP address i got from the ipconfig /all from the same pc and the subnet mask. i will restart the pc then... tnx.

... i checked the ipconfig /all data and it shows all the data i inputted.. Internet Explorer cannot still access the internet.. Hu, hu, hu, :( :(

can you ping sites from the command line?

i did ping the IP address that I typed for the win2000 pc and it had a reply...

yea, but I wanna see if it can resolve a name, not just internet explorer. e.g, nslookup google.com or ping google.com,

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back