how the hell did this happen?

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
yesterday i was talking with a friend of mine and she tells me that all her files had been erased. poof, just like that. i told her that its impossible for that to happen (as far as i know), but apparently its true. she had tons of mp3s and more than 1000 pictures in two separate folders on her desktop. i helped her using system restore, but she didnt have any restore points made (ive no idea why), tried looking at the files through the admin account but no good results, and also tried the "last known good configuration" option in the F8 menu, still with no good results. ive considered data recovery programs, but it doesnt seem to make sense, because the files are still there (she still has 17 gb used out of 60). anyone know any info about this?

oh yeah, shes running and IBM w 1.8ghz, XP Home, 256 ram, 60gb

thx a bunch,
Apu

There was a Kazaa Virus about 6-7 months ago, that would delete MP3s and everything shared. I forget where the info is, if I come across it again..I will re-post it here.

Originally posted by apu95
yesterday i was talking with a friend of mine and she tells me that all her files had been erased.

There's your explanation! :D :p

*ducks*

At first System Restore will never restore mp3 files. It only monitors certain types of files like .exe and .dll, but no music, text or picture files.

Wondering if the desktop cleanup wizzard may be the reason of the problem. If so there should be an icon on the desktop somewhere called "unused desktop shortcuts".
Another possibility would be that she is logged in to another account so the folders would not show up. Look in C:\Documents and Settings\ username\ Desktop.
Did you search the computer for *.mp3 or *.jpg?

Re: Re: how the hell did this happen?

Originally posted by Glaanieboy

*ducks*

------- Jewelzz pushing the ban button------

Was nice to have you here, Glaanieboy, farewell. :D :p

Re: Re: Re: how the hell did this happen?

Originally posted by yoyo

Was nice to have you here, Glaanieboy, farewell. :D :p

Jewelzz won't do that to me :p

I'm assuming she was using a password for her accounts and stuff. I know a really annoying/stupid guy here that has no admin password, so we are able to log onto his comp and delete stuff at will (altho we haven't really done anything, yet).

Re: Re: how the hell did this happen?

Originally posted by apu95
yesterday i was talking with a friend of mine and she tells me that all her files had been erased.

Originally posted by Glaanieboy

*ducks*

Originally posted by yoyo

Banning him would be nice and easy, I'll make him suffer. Glaaineboy, you won't know when, you won't know how but you will pay for that comment. Muahahahahaha

Re: Re: Re: how the hell did this happen?

Originally posted by Jewelzz
Banning him would be nice and easy, I'll make him suffer. Glaaineboy, you won't know when, you won't know how but you will pay for that comment. Muahahahahaha

:( :mad: :huh: :confused:

Ask your friend if she, or someone else that also uses her computer, decided to stop sharing the files in Kazaa and may have deleted them from within Kazaa. Alot of people have deleted files when they tried to stop sharing them. If this is what happened then her only recourse is to try a file recovery program but they are of limited use unless they are used immediately after the file has been deleted.

Tell her to bite the bullet and just start downloading again.

If the mp3's and crap were on a separate partition that had become "unmounted" or unbootable anyways, the files would still take up space but would be inaccessible similar to your situation.

Anyways this is how I do it on my systems:

Hard Drive #1:
C: Windows Installation -SYSTEM RESTORE TURNED ON-
G: Software Installation -SYSTEM RESTORE TURNED OFF-
F: Scratch Disk (for graphics apps) -SYSTEM RESTORE TURNED OFF-

Hard Drive #2:
E: SWAP -SYSTEM RESTORE TURNED OFF-
D: My Documents -SYSTEM RESTORE TURNED OFF-
H: Storage/Workspace (all temp files and active directories are redirected here) -SYSTEM RESTORE TURNED OFF-

This way if anything messes up on hard drive #1 I can just restore and not worry about any of my personal data or junk since they will be unaffected by any restoration.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back