how should I handle this?

P

patrickjp

here's my setup:
p4 1.4 w/winxp pro
p3 500 upgraded from win me to winxp pro

motorola cable modem connected to a Linksys cable/dsl router (setup as dhcp server)

I only have tcp/ip, qos packet scheduler and file and print sharing installed in both network propeties (if I am dumb here and should have installed netbui, laugh at me please)

I added both pc's to a specified workgroup and shared each c drive so I can grab stuff off either pc in any directory..

they refuse to see each other, no matter what I do..

is it just becuase netbui is not installed??

Did you by any chance enable the built in firewall? By default if you use the network wizard it will enable it which will prevent you from even seeing the other computers.....

First, lose the QoS packet scheduler. You do not need it, no matter what anyone tells you. Next, make sure NetBIOS is enabled in your TCP/IP properties. Third, make sure the computers are both in the same IP range and have the same netmask, as well as the same Workgroup name. Fourth, make sure, as Rod mentioned, you do not have any firewall software running. If none of this works, try to ping each computer on your network from each other computer, and ping an outside IP address as well. 128.101.101.101 is an easy one if you don't know another offhand. Once you've done that, report back here what you found out and we can go from there.
/L.A

k thanks.. I'll do the step and get back here

netmask, where/how would I configure that? you mean subnet?

I was reading here in the guides that qos packet scheduler reserves 20% of your badnwidth reguardless if it's installed or not... or maybe not :confused:

Originally posted by patrickjp
I was reading here in the guides that qos packet scheduler reserves 20% of your badnwidth reguardless if it's installed or not... or maybe not :confused:

It only reservs 20% if it's necessary. This means that if your bandwidth is full and a QoS prioritized app wants to use the network, it can receive up to 20% of the bandwidth (if it needs it). And you will have to go into the registry to turn it off.

QoS

As for QoS - I haven't seen much on it.. really I believe you have to be running something that uses QoS to even feel an impact - i did the Speedzone patch and killed the service, and I never felt the difference at all, monitor your bandwidth for a while and see, I can almost guarentee QoS doesn't do a thing... I have read somewhere (God I wish I could remember where) That QoS won't affect you at all. Then again, when I killed it, nothing bad happened, so really either way you should be good...

Hi folks. Just joined and I'm trying to prepare my ME network for an upgrade to XP Pro. I've deleted Netbeui and now can't browse the network (ICS with my cable modem still works) I've tried to enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP but it's greyed out! Any ideas?

Go ahead and upgrade! XP fixes alot of the network configuration itself and besides, you won't know if it works in XP until you installed it so I really don't know why you have to prepare.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back