How old is Grandpa

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
Makes ya think

Boy how things have changed! How old is Grandpa?

Stay with this - the answer is at the end - it will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events.
The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.
The granddad replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before television, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, contact lenses, Frisbees and the pill.
There was no radar, credit cards, laser beams or ball- point pens.
Man had not invented pantyhose, air conditioners, dishwashers, clothes dryers, and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and man hadn't yet walked on the moon.
Your grandmother and I got married first-and then lived together.
Every family had a father and a mother.
Until I was 25, I called every man older than I, 'Sir'-and after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, 'Sir.' We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.
Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.
We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.
Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends not purchasing condominiums.
We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.
We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.
And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.
If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan' on it, it was junk.
The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.
Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.
We had 5 & 10 cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.
Ice cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi
were all a nickel. And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.
You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600 but who could afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.
In my day, 'grass' was mowed, 'coke' was a cold drink, 'pot' was something your mother cooked in, and 'rock music'
was your grandmother's lullaby.
'Aids' were helpers in the Principal's office, 'chip' meant a piece of wood, hardware' was found in a hardware store, and 'software' wasn't even a word.
And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady
needed a husband to have a baby.
No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap. ...and how old do you think I
am ?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> This man would be only 58 years old !

thanks for sharing :D

I tink I wuv ju now...

yes when you stop and think about it what you have written is soooooo true:p

UH OH!!

I remember most of what Grandfather said - but we did have Black & White TV!!

:D :D :D

OK, I have too much time on my hands, and I'm feeling like a smart ass, so me and Google did some research:

Television was first demonstrated in the United States in 1927 . That would make Grandpa at least 75 years old.

Frozen food has been around at least since 1930 , and depending on who you ask, perhaps since 1923 . That would make Grandpa 79.

When you think about it, while penicillin was disovered between 1928 and 1945 , making Grandpa anywhere from 57 to 74, the actual mold has probably been in existence for millions of years. Making Grandpa like, too old to control his bladder fer sher.

The first xerographic image was created in 1938 , making Grandpa at least 64.

Contact lenses have been around since 1887 , and were conceptualized by Leonardo da Vinci in 1508. Grandpa is one hoary old dude.

Don't get me started on nuclear families. Orphanages have been around a lot longer than Grandpa.

Since Grandpa's life was governed by the Ten Commandments, he obviously didn't practice Confucianism, which was founded in 551 BC .

The first electric typewriter was introduced in 1902 , making Grandpa exactly 100 years old.

I guess Grandpa never heard of pirates or gypsies...

Instant coffee has been around since 1938 , making Grandpa 64 years old.

So it would appear that Grandpa is actually dead .

:D HAHA. that one was good. i thought it was one of those things where WE had to find out the answer. good thing freightgod did it for us. :p

I saw almost the same thing posted several months back. The only thing that was in it that is not in this one was "before Semi-automatics". I thought that was pretty funny for semi-automatics were around back when I was a kid.
My dad bought me a semi-auto 22 rifle for my 12th birthday. I still have that rifle today.

Yes, I lived in that time. Most every item that was mention.

Oh sure TV had been invented but I was 17 years old before I saw one. (But I built a 25 inch color set when I was 32)

Sure we had a frozen food locker "in town". That was our deep freeze.

Contact lense may have been around since 1887 but I was in my late twenties before they made them out my way.

Polio vaccine in my twenties.

The first electric typewriter was introduced in 1902, so what! It was 1949 before we got electricity!

And I'm not too dead. :rolleyes: :D

Of course you're right, Lelu, I was just being a smarty that day! It's amazing the changes that have come our way in just a couple generations.

You make a good point Jewelzz.

In all that has changed over the years, the human race still cannot get on with each other, and it looks like it never will.

No matter what happens, we still never seem to learn from it.

Adam and Eve had it really good.

Looks like we will have to start all over again.

You're scaring me, Kirrie...

Are you thinking about using a doomsday device, or something in that vein ? :(

Originally posted by Kirrie2001

Adam and Eve had it really good.

Adam and Eve didn't have Half-Life, how good could it have been :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back