How often you use Degauss ?

Cosmin

Graphic Designer
I use it once a year if i don't forget it :D , but never saw a big difference . How often you use it ?

I would only use it if I see a problem with the monitor display. So far, I haven't had to use it on my monitor. I worked in a video arcade years ago. We had some older games that we had to deguass the screen.

I think I've used it once or twice since I got my monitor, a year ago.

I've had my monitor for 5 years and have never done it. :eek:

Degauss is only really supposed to be used if something like a small magnet has unaligned the electron guns, what a degauss will do is re-align them if they are not too far off, it also helps if you are seeing slight distortion due to badly shielded speakers being next to the monitor. (magnets =P)

I use it almost all the time when i change my monitor settings to memorise the new settings eg. height, width...
:)
i dont know why you care if you use it or not ?
is it gonna damagae my monitor?

Only if the display goes off.

Remeber, to much use can severely reduce the life of your monitor :)

According to the manual on my hp mx70 - "the monitor is automatically degaussed each time it is turned on."

Am I really shortening the life of my monitor by turning it on - since I am degaussing it each time as some of you have suggested?????

My opinion is :
I think not, as most TV's have also had the auto-degaussing set-up for quite a few years!

As xsiforce said - the older video games needed it - that was because all the shielding and auto-degaussing was not built-in, as is common design for a monitor/TV/CRT today!

Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out what is opinion and what is fact!

;) ;) ;)

I always seem to use it by accident, cos its right next to the resize on my monitors OSD!!

Originally posted by damnyank
According to the manual on my hp mx70 - "the monitor is automatically degaussed each time it is turned on."

Am I really shortening the life of my monitor by turning it on - since I am degaussing it each time as some of you have suggested?????

My opinion is :
I think not, as most TV's have also had the auto-degaussing set-up for quite a few years!

As xsiforce said - the older video games needed it - that was because all the shielding and auto-degaussing was not built-in, as is common design for a monitor/TV/CRT today!

Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out what is opinion and what is fact!

;) ;) ;)

Hmmm, appears I could well be wrong !!

*gasps of horror from the crowd*

This is what it says for my monitor from the sony website

This is the sound of the auto-degauss cycle, not a malfunction. When the power is turned on, the monitor is automatically degaussed for 5 seconds. The Auto-degauss function demagnetizes the metal frame of the CRT to obtain a neutral field for uniform color reproduction.

NOTE: If a second degauss cycle is needed, allow a minimum interval of 20 minutes for the best result. A humming noise may be heard, but this is not a malfunction

is it gonna damagae my monitor? [/B][/QUOTE]

If you use it when it's necessary will not damage your monitor but you should be careful with it if you want to keep your monitor in a good condition :)

Mine does it every time I turn it on as well...

But do you all know how hard it is to get a monitor turned on? You have to talk to it really sexy to even get a response. Mine just ignores me...

I feel so used...

LOL, I like sprungs response the best :)

Yes most monitors degauss at startup, but that is usually before the electron guns have began firing, so i'm not sure since monitor hardware is not my field, but a degauss while the guns are firing might be a little more stressful.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back