"There's no sense in closing the gate after the horse got away!"

&

"All a lock does is keep an honest person honest!"

That was over forty years ago - I translate that to mean:

"Use a firewall!"

Originally posted by TheBlueRaja
Yo Daddy was a wise man.

:D

Thanx - I think he was also and he did not even know what a puter was!

Get Neotrace and you can trace the IP addresses that are pinging you. My ISP pings me all the time but ZoneAlarm blocks them:) The bigger problem is keeping my kids from accessing the computer and installing junk programs and spyware:D

I don't run firewall, or antivirus. But I'm pretty damn sure I'm safe. Trojans don't put them selves on the puter, and I most certainly aren't that dumb. Only security stuff I bother with is local, I'm more worried bout what my flat mate could do then someone on the internet.

Twink

To each their own - you are a lot braver than I am and obiviously a lot smarter, as dummy old me loves my Zone Alarm and NAV 2002.

Krom Mate - you better be pulling our legs here, or somebody wants to hack you BAD.

Some days it might be less, could be more. I idle on IRC, and get probed from there a bit. Most of the attempts I see are just from people with infected machines. Mostly nimda type probes.

I use a linksys router with the built in firewall. I can open a few ports to play games, irc, etc. I have never gotten trully hacked. Never gotten a virus. This can be somewhat of a bummer since I have to disable the firewall by placing my computer in the DMZ so I can play Serious Sam. This requires a reboot, luckily XP is quite fast at rebooting.

I get hit 4 to 7 times aday I do love My Norton Keep it up todate and it takes care of you :)

About the same. 5 to 10 times a day sometimes. Other days, none at all. NIS 2002 keeps snaggin' em. :D

I probably shouldn't be asking this but has anyone heard of a program called "Divine Retribution" hehehe

Originally posted by TheBlueRaja
I think so - the problem with the XP firewall is that you dont have any control over it really. With Noton it reports to me when someone trys something and then i can take appropriate steps - like block the gits - permanently.

I also find it very informative, easy to use and it gives me control over what can and cannot have access to the internet.

I would'nt feel comfortable without it to be honest.

I agree 100% wiv ya TheBlueRaja, I only got NPF2002 yesterday, and after installation & updates I was hit 4 times by backdoor trojan!!

Thankfeck I got NPF2002, its soo cool. Yes it does stop the bugga's :D

Since quitting IRC, I have not been attacked.

Yeah, it does seem to me to be the best Firewall, i Personally prefer it to Zone Alarm, simply because its so easy to use and gain information from.

Also its updated very frequently.

I feel more comfortable knowing its there....

like a blanket or cuddly toy.. its the comfort factor!! lol :D

Originally posted by Limp Bizkit
I have got NTL broadband myself and I average at least 1 hit a day. Last night I had about 6 warnings pop up in a few hours. One thing you can do is to do a trace on the ip address. This usually brings up an email address where you can report abuse and report it. I don't know if anything happens but it is a thought. Most of the port scans are probably kids messing about anyway and not "Hard core" hackers. Don't do what I did the other night though. I was so sick of being scanned that I actually lost my cool and flooded the last person's ip address who scanned me. I felt better at the time but afterwards realised I should have just left it. Like yourself I run Norton and that seems to catch all attempts.

If this hacker knows what he is doing then you 'flooded' an inocent persons computer.

Fair point. I didn't tell the whole story though because he actually flooded me back afterwards!!! Innocent person-I think not!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back