how much can i sell my PC for?

milecastle

OSNN Junior Addict
I have finally decided to get rid of my sh~t dell PC and build my own - but first i need to sell it to help raise as much money as possible.

What do you all think I could get for this PC and where is the best place/way to sell it. Here it is:

Dell Dimension 4400
P4 1.8GHz (256kb/400MHz FSB)
Intel D845PT motherboard
768MB DDR (266MHz) ram
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
40GB 5200rpm hard disk
Samsung CDRW/DVD CD 32x8x4x DVD4x
Inbuilt sound
Dell E771a 17"
XP Pro
harman/kardon speakers, internet ready etc...

Thanks in advance.

I think you could probably get $400 for it since it's a complete system with monitor, speakers, and I'm guessing mouse and keyboard. It's a pretty decent system, even though it has a slower Pentium 4 the generous amount of RAM is nice.

Dell sells comparable new systems for around the same price though, so it's always tough to compete with them (basically the new Celeron Ds are just like your Pentium 4 - same bus speed, same cache). $400 might be pushing it.

*Edit* Actually Celeron Ds have a 533MHz bus speed, not 400MHz. :O. Not that it matters, just correcting myself.

You could probably get more because it does have Windows XP Pro AND a monitor. Things that are hurting this computer:
Hard Drive being that it is just a 5200 RPM (Isn't it usually 5400RPM?) :)
Your processor is older, but still in the P4 genre'

I'd say try for $500+

Windows XP Pro = $199 for the upgrade, $150 for the OEM
Vidio Card = $54
Monitor = $130
HD = $20
Ram = $75
Mobo = $50
Processor = $50
Optical Drive = $20
Speakers = $20

$500 is a tough sale.

I just configured a Dell Dimension 3000 with the following specs:

Intel Celeron D Processor 2.4GHz 533MHz Bus
Windows XP Home
90 Day Warranty, 90 Day at home service, 1 year technical support
512MB Dual Channel DDR 400
40GB 7200RPM harddrive
48X CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Refurbished 17" E773 CRT Monitor
Integrated Audio and Video
Dell A215 Speakers
Dell Mouse And Keyboard
Word Perfect

So basically, a processor that is 600MHz faster with a faster bus speed, a 90 day warranty with 1 year tech support, faster RAM, faster harddrive, faster CD-ROM, newer same sized monitor, 6 months free dial up, but with integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2.

$506, shipped.

$400 seems fair.

let's not also forget the buyer has to pay shipping. which is around 100.00 or more.

He could try parting out the pieces to possibly make some more.
But you're also looking at a processor with half the cache, and the title of "Celeron" That's a big issue with lots of people. Anyways. if you want to sell at $400 go ahead. I think it's fair for that system as well.

ShepsCrook said:
He could try parting out the pieces to possibly make some more.
But you're also looking at a processor with half the cache, and the title of "Celeron" That's a big issue with lots of people. Anyways. if you want to sell at $400 go ahead. I think it's fair for that system as well.

Actually the Celeron D has 256k cache, the same as his Pentium 4. It also has the 133FSB/533 MHz system bus, compared to his 100FSB/400 MHz system bus, so it's actually faster. But yeah, it's still a "Celeron," heh.

Used pricing:

Dell Dimension 4400
$30 P4 1.8GHz (256kb/400MHz FSB)
$30 845PT motherboard
$60 DDR (266MHz) ram
$30 NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
$20 40GB 5200rpm hard disk
$20 Samsung CDRW/DVD CD 32x8x4x DVD4x
$0 Inbuilt sound
$100 Dell E771a 17"
$120 XP Pro (assuming you have a CD and can transfer the lisence)
$20 harman/kardon speakers, internet ready etc...
$430 Total at most

Problem is similar systems with a warrantee are going for about the same new from Dell. Good luck selling it.

Eck said:
Actually the Celeron D has 256k cache, the same as his Pentium 4. It also has the 133FSB/533 MHz system bus, compared to his 100FSB/400 MHz system bus, so it's actually faster. But yeah, it's still a "Celeron," heh.

Regular P4's have a 512kB L2 cache, personally I think you'd be lucky to get $400 for it.

Well...I think it all depends on who u sell too. If u sell to someone that doesnt know crap about computers u could sell it with ease but that would be mean tryin to rip someone off but its a eas way to get some money.

j79zlr said:
Regular P4's have a 512kB L2 cache, personally I think you'd be lucky to get $400 for it.

Not the socket 423s, which is what he has. He even says so in his description...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back