deleted

Ever do a CHKDSK / R? That's the command to search for bad sectors and whatnot. I would consider doing a CHKDSK / R / V if you want to scan for bad sectors and get a verbose explanation. I've never done it, because I've heard it takes forever (and I have some pretty big hard drives).

(Note: my -V explanation works under NTFS, but reacts differently with FAT32; it just lists your entire file system under FAT32.)

Melon

The number of bad sectors should be 0, zero, ziltch, none, or you're going to have to replace the drive pretty soon.

i thought that bad sectors were a problem if you had loads or they were in the boot sector

and i think he means something to give a visual output of where the bad sectors are located much like the 9x scandisk

A few bad sectors are not a problem if they would have the habit of staying put and staying few. The problem is that bad sectors don't have manners. They usually jump around and multiply like rabbits. So if you find some, you can bet your behind there'll be more!

Sometimes a bad sector can occur because of a software problem and disappear after a repartition/reformat. But it's very unusual afaik, I've only encountered it once.

with xp, and the ntfs, your bad sectors will almost never be known by you.

xp remaps bad sectors on the fly...as you're working, if you are using the nt file system, chck disk is only necessary in a catastrophy.

amazing kernal, this nt os

there must be a third party proggie like norton disk doctor:confused:

norton disc doctor only invokes the native chk disc utility, it's not a seperate scan disc from xp's internal device

kevin...this is very interesting to me...please keep posting as you find more information

it looks like chkdisc thinks it's correcting some of the bad values on the disc...

Have you run chkdsk /f like it says? It doesn't have to be bad sectors you know.

do you shut down windows before power off i know a mate that just powers off then wonders why his pc is F**ked
and also you got any lame freewar apps that repair or defrag the disk as they might cause a problem

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back