How many run servers?

Do you own and run a server online?

• Total voters
I have a server runing Slackware on my home network. I use it as a file server w/ samba and FTP. I also have it running apache/php/mysql. I download remote pop mail to it using procmail and it is checked with spamassasin and clamav. It also acts as a firewall. I also admin remote Redhat servers ... but they aren't for personal use.

I got my server doing a few things, web (php), ftp, irc, mysql, mail, samba, and I think thats it. Will be adding DNS Cache or Server as well as makin it do router stuff as well in a couple of months

lad_in_brum said:
if you are specifically on about a web server

I use the kfws web server.

Its free and I found the FAQ's on the site helpful and easy to understand.

I hadn't set-up a web server before.....but after downloading the keyfoucus web server i had it up and running in no time at all, including setting it up for PHP. I would definately recomend it.

I also run that Webserver app, its great. I also have Serv-U FTP, MySQL, RDP, VPN, DHCP and WINS setup and running.

I have plans for a streaming media for my LAN, its installed but not configured.

My Server OS is Windows Server 2003 Standard.

For more info goto http://www.michaelsoft.gotdns.com/sysinfo

I run two servers. A FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE server for internet things running Apache and qmail/vpopmail/ezmlm, and a Windows 2000 Server as a LAN-only file server and intranet webserver.

-JJB

If you've got XP pro, turn on you ISS!
Control Panel>Add/Remove Proggies/Add remove windows components/
Check Internet Information Services (IIS)
Whalla - Windows Server!

If you've a static IP address (or even if you haven;t) but have a decent connection, go to www.no-ip.com and choose a free webname so you don't have to remember your ip, and away you go.

You'll then want to learn the power of ASP, then move quickly on to ASPX.

I did!

;-)

http://a1ehouse.no-ip.com

a1ehouse said:
If you've got XP pro, turn on you ISS!
Control Panel>Add/Remove Proggies/Add remove windows components/
Check Internet Information Services (IIS)
Whalla - Windows Server!

If you've a static IP address (or even if you haven;t) but have a decent connection, go to www.no-ip.com and choose a free webname so you don't have to remember your ip, and away you go.

You'll then want to learn the power of ASP, then move quickly on to ASPX.

I did!

;-)

http://a1ehouse.no-ip.com

Windows!!! ASP!! IIS!!! No way, FreeBSD, Apache, PHP. Windows was not and most likely will never be a Server OS, it was designed as a desktop and is poorly modified to be used as a server.

I run FreeBSD 4.9-Stable with Apache 2.0.49 and PHP 4.3.4, hosting 3 sites on a P2 400.

Just want to know how to go about setting up a small server for my home network. Do you think it's worth having a server like this?

Run my own server here at home. Lovely Duron, with FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE.

Apache
pure-ftpd
samba
dnscache
tinydns (local rnds for network)

hopefully by this time next year i'll have a little server running, purely because its a learning exercise, and like ming i don't know where to start! (first idea would be to find some cash...)

Or just an old box, 100 Mhz, 32 MB ram, and a network card with a 1 GB hd will do.

yeah, get an old box together, decide on an OS, put together, install, setup, use

I got a p150 w/ 32mb ram that I'm playing w/ Slackware on :)

I have one server that runs HTTP/FTP/Mail/Shoutcast/Webcam and another deticated to UT2004 server

The web server is an amd duron 1200 with 512mb ram and the unreal server is an amd 600mhz with 128 megs ram...

i think i need to swich over some ram to the unreal server....or is that all it needs

I would say the more RAM the better in the UT2k4 server as it probably uses alot more resources then your internal web server will. :)

All the software/games/apps, do they all run off the server itself, or do you just install them on each individual client?

how do you mean? a webserver like apache runs on the server machine, as would an FTP server, mail server and so on, Java is about the only thing which really ever gets sent client side

Geffy said:
how do you mean? a webserver like apache runs on the server machine, as would an FTP server, mail server and so on, Java is about the only thing which really ever gets sent client side
Not too sure myself to be honest. lol :p
Like in University, all the software seems to be installed in a central location and all the client machine just run the apps off the server that's hosting them.

Maybe I got it wrong. Duno.

I have a small PII450 server running as web/ssh/sql/backup/folding server. Also used for generally playing around with Linux and screwing things up. ;)

ming: The setup you are talking about is quite tricky, at least in a Windows environment. You would probably need to run a domain controller to keep profiles centralized in order to keep track of everything installed.

ming said:
All the software/games/apps, do they all run off the server itself, or do you just install them on each individual client?
With games like UT2k4 you would run a "server" version of the game that would run off the server and kind of ties the clients together as if they were all right next to each other. As w/ software/apps you can do that but it takes a more complex setup then I am able to explain. :)

Xie said:
With games like UT2k4 you would run a "server" version of the game that would run off the server and kind of ties the clients together as if they were all right next to each other. As w/ software/apps you can do that but it takes a more complex setup then I am able to explain. :)
psshh.. Means I'm better off leaving by using my router and leaving my machines on if I only wanted a file server. :confused:
I 'was' thinking about reducing disk space consumption by having everything on the server, and the client just running apps off the server itself.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back