How many run servers?

Do you own and run a server online?

• Total voters

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I am just planning to build and place online my own server for a domain or three I have planned, all to be going live sometime later in the year. I realise quite a few of the people here may well have gone before down this road and so I was curious to post a poll - remember I am only really talking about your home situation, because if you count peoples work there are bound to be servers involved I guess ;)

yeah I got a server at home, good little machine too

How easy is it to set up a server? (For someone who is new to this area)

if you are specifically on about a web server

I use the kfws web server.

Its free and I found the FAQ's on the site helpful and easy to understand.

I hadn't set-up a web server before.....but after downloading the keyfoucus web server i had it up and running in no time at all, including setting it up for PHP. I would definately recomend it.

web/ftp works nicely when i'm at work and need some stuff from home.

lad_in_brum said:

Its free and I found the FAQ's on the site helpful and easy to understand.

I hadn't set-up a web server before.....but after downloading the keyfoucus web server i had it up and running in no time at all, including setting it up for PHP. I would definately recomend it.
Yeah got that also, saving up for a better kit, to run a server.

Software says it will run your connection 3 times faster, yeah right!

lad_in_brum said:

no actually, in fact I was specifically non-specific because my server will do many things and needs to be a separate box - it will be ftp, hosting and more and probably be running linux not XP or any M$ thing.

One other thing - my server is, for personal reasons, likely to be physically located remotely from me and, I think, this will probably rule out any such thing as kfws, because I'll have to be doing all the configuration and admin remotely from my own machine. By all means tell me if I am wrong though!

Private VPN/file server at home that I remotely connect to from campus to store backups.
smile.gif

Mainframeguy said:
no actually, in fact I was specifically non-specific because my server will do many things and needs to be a separate box - it will be ftp, hosting and more and probably be running linux not XP or any M$ thing.

One other thing - my server is, for personal reasons, likely to be physically located remotely from me and, I think, this will probably rule out any such thing as kfws, because I'll have to be doing all the configuration and admin remotely from my own machine. By all means tell me if I am wrong though!
why would it rule it out? you just ssh in and set it up :)

Can anyone give me a link or give a veli quick guide as to how to set up a (private)server. Poss. use for ftp/file server.

Bulletproofs good, as is ServU. Otherwise if you intend to use Linux most distro's come with an FTP server pre-installed in the setup, if you choose the option that is :)

If you're new to Linux go for Mandrake, its easy to use, has an FTP server optional and has Webmin to allow you to control pretty much everything remotely.

If server will be running *nix/BSD then check out vsftpd. Sites like openBSD, Redhat can't be wrong. ;)

OK, can live with just the file server, but how would I go about setting up a server like those used in Universities (app sharing or apps installed in a central location)?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back