• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

how many hard drives can win xp pro see?

how many HDD's can win xp pro see and how much space can it see? i know there is a limit but i dont know waht it is

i am just woundering because i am building a 1.5tb server and was thinking for an easy os i would use XP and also for remote desktop

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User
I found this also:

Problems running 2 250gb hard drives with xp pro?
DanG
I'm gearing up for the boxing day sales and am hoping to get a pair of WD 250GB se's for cheap tomorrow or the day after.
I'm going to be running them off a promise ata card that they say will support LBA 48bit larger than 137gb as long as I have the newest bios for the card, which is not a problem to do, it's more so windows that I'm concerned with.
Xp pro, with SP1. Any problem getting it to see the full capacity of the 2 drives?

Geeky1
None whatsoever.

I've got 4 160GB hard drives in my dual 2500 system, and they're in 2, 2-drive RAID 0 arrays; each array has a formatted capacity of ~310GB, and Win XP sees all 310GB just fine.
Don't know if any of this or my other post is helpful or not.

dick471

OSNN Junior Addict
I'm running 13 Hard Drives on IDE, SCSI, USB, Promise for a total of 947.5GB's and have no problem in XP Pro. Other devices (DVD burners, etc) complete the 26 drive letters allowed. It takes about 7 minutes to boot completely to a working desktop, but I'm retired and have lots of time. Everything works fine.

Tweakfiend

OSNN Senior Addict
As gonaads mentioned difficult to see what if any limit XP has.
I have 2@120GB .and 1@40GB IDE133's and 1@120GB Sata =400 GB ......no problem.

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
I think the limit is actually in partitions, I don't think you can have more than 24; C-Z since A,B are reserved for floppies, but if you use an array I would think that 2TB is the limit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix