How in the hell does one make a boot disk for XP??

N

Nuts

I'm trying to update my bios to rid myself of some blue screens, however I cannot seem to make a bootable floppy!! I've used the make an ms-dos boot disk option in the format menu, however every time I try to boot from it, the system indicates that there is a disk I/O error?!? anyone else had this or have an idea how to solve this error? I'm getting about 8 bsod's a day and I think this bios update might fix the lion's share of that. Thanks much

whoa. 8 BSODs a day. :eek:

That's quite unusual for Windows XP.

Sorry to hear you're getting that...Might wanna go back to the old OS...

But I don't know the solution, so sorry :(

If you're getting persistent I/O errors, the disks are either bad, or your drive is eating them.

well I figured out in the end that it was a bad floppy cable. However the bsod problem still unfortunately remains after the bios flash. I had three BSOD's in the span of 40 minutes, one IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN, one that just stated that my computer had had a problem and needed to be rebooted, and another that indicated that there was a Page Fault in a nonpaged area. The last two are new to me, anyone have any ideas on those? Thanks for the input!

If you're getting "STOP: 0x...." codes, you can go to the M'Soft Knowledge Base and type them in the search box.

Do you have mismatched memory sticks? Without knowing the codes, it's hard to advise you on the problem.

You also might try switching out your other cables since you said your floppy cable was bad, and you also might consider moving the slot that your soundcard and other cards are in (like more the sound board away from vid board and such), and if all else fails ya might wanna do a clean install :(

well here is what the event viewer was telling me every time it dumps:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804f1a9e). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini011802-02.dmp.

Memory is the same, 2 sticks from crucial ordered same time.

Go to the link I provided earlier and paste the 0x0000000a code in the search box, it came back with 25 articles for me.

thanks, checked out the results for msknowledge base, but all were concerning problems w/ win NT

There is a way tp make a boot floppy in Windows XP.
Insert a floppy in the drive and from My Computer right click the drive, select format, when the dialog appears under Format Options, check the box to make a DOS bootable disk. \
Hope it helps.

Technically Win XP is a Win NT enviroment NUTz. The difference is com+ vers DOS...

My suggestion....

Save all your data. Wipe the HD then reflash the BIOS (Just to be safe) Do a clean install. Also you could try pulling all but your video card b4 install. Then after install put in one card at a time sometimes a equipment failure causes a OS to go insane. Even take out 1 memory chip.

Originally posted by Druce
my big book of kool XP information says:

A kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location without authorization. This Stop error is typically caused by faulty or incompatible hardware or software. The name of the offending device driver often appears in the Stop message and can provide an important clue to solving the problem. If the error message points to a specific device or category of devices, try removing or replacing devices in that category. If this Stop message appears during Setup, suspect an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup program.

Question: Has this system been used with a different OS b4? Or is this a brand new comp?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back