How important is DVI?

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey everyone,
I just got a new monitor AOC e2243Fw 21.5 Widescreen LED Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1080, 16:9, 50,000,000:1 Dynamic, 5ms, VGA, DVI at TigerDirect.com

And it doesn't come with a DVI cable, I Have a spare adapter (DVI to VGA that came with the card so I will still be able to do dual monitors) but I was wondering if I should spend the money on a DVI cable to make the image better. Does it make a noticeable difference (I was wondering specifically on a monitor this size since on my 17inch I have now, thats not super high-resolution Im sure I couldn't tell the difference.)

Also, does the cable matter if I do get a DVI cable, I found a 6 foot cable on sale on Amazon thats a CablesToGo for 10 bucks from 22, and it got a lot of good reviews, Without springing for a Monster which I think is a waste are there other brands that need to be had?

Thanks!

DVI is better in the regard that it is digital and VGA is analog. DVI is a step down from HDMI, and VGA is a step down from DVI.

DVI is better in the regard that it is digital and VGA is analog. DVI is a step down from HDMI, and VGA is a step down from DVI.
Ok then, will purchase a DVI cable right about now lol. Thanks for the help.

Go DVI. Guy at work just got a computer upgrade annd they did not have 2 DVI cables. The montor they stuck him with a VGA cable on is illegible. He's not happy.

I use HDMI with my monitor, because I enjoy the cable design better, and the whole HD is HDMI makes me feel better lol Even though I know DVI is the same.

I just wish video cards would incorporate sound into it, or something. Would be sweet.

I have a 5000 series card, and no it doesn't....Unless I am missing something.

If it has an HDMI connection then it supports high bit rate audio. At least the 5870 does.

ATI Radeon

Huh, so does the 5850, but I am pretty sure when I had my tv hooked up to my video card there was no sound coming from the tv, hmm must try again.

You need to run it through a Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio receiver first. Your TV on its own won't recognise the audio signal.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back