• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How do you rename recycle bin?

M

Mike89

I thought I knew how to do this. I had used a method of doing it in 98 but it doesn't work for xp. Here is what I used that didn't work.

1.Open RegEdit (select Run in the Start menu and enter RegEdit in the text box).
2.Open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and locate CLSID (the Class ID option). Scroll down to the
{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E} key and click it.
3.In the right-hand window, double-click (Default), and change the name from Recycle Bin to whatever you prefer.
4.Click OK and close RegEdit.
5.To make the new name take effect, click once anywhere on the desktop, then press the F5 key.

I have seen all the tweaks on this site but can't find a tweak for renaming the recycle bin.

So how is it done?

M

Mike89

OK, I found it on tweakxp.com.

It was stated to copy this to notepad and save as a .reg file. Here it is

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=hex:50,01,00,20
"CallForAttributes"=dword:00000000

Well I did that (named it "renamebin.reg")and when I clicked on it, I got a message saying it was not a valid registry script and could not be imported to the registry.

Well I located the entries manually in the registry from the above entries and changed them that way and it worked. I can now rename the bin by right clicking on it and the "rename" option is there now.

Anyone know why the above script wouldn't work as a .reg file?

W

wassup_ken

you forgot the "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" at the beginning, it should be:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=hex:50,01,00,20
"CallForAttributes"=dword:00000000

M

Mike89

No, I had copied the text each way. That's what I had thought at first so I made another file with it there. I had made two files, one with and one without that part.

I got the same message when trying to execute each one.

M

Mike89

Excuse me, you're right.

Jeez, I had made the second one and then my stupid ass had clicked on the first one again.

"There are always two sides to any argument. My side and the wrong side"

Hmm. I have always tried to use that one on my wife but for some strange reason she isn't buying it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbieherrin