How do you feel about ebay/paypal?

Do you like Ebay/Paypal

• Total voters

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey Everyone, as I see the bills roll in, my hate only gets more and more for Ebay/paypal.
And i get a message today, they have limited my paypal account (which has 700 dollars in it, from the remaining ps3 sales).
I need to verify my ssn and i thought i was correct, but i guess not.
So i can not access this money until i waste a S*** load of time with paypal clearing this up.
Thanks Ebay, for making my life easier.

Having been the victim of an Ebay fraudster my judgement is coloured - I avoid Ebay but have recently found I needed to use PayPal and seeing as they are essentially the same company I felt bad about that.... But they have largely got the market as seldom do sites make available an alternative and oftentimes using VISA through PayPal links fails (E.G when I tried to pay my OSNN subs!)

I use paypal all the time. I like it a lot, it makes it so much easier to pay on line. As you will see, there are a lot of online stores that are starting to use it now.

I use paypal all the time. I like it a lot, it makes it so much easier to pay on line. As you will see, there are a lot of online stores that are starting to use it now.
Yes, for paying they are fine. But did u know they get a heft final value fee?
Both Ebay and Paypal take like 2% of your sale. So on my 1500 ps3 i gave about 80 to them in final value fees, plus that in listing fees...

They're robbing bastards, however there's no real alternative as they're just too popular.

I have been usying eBay/PayPal for years, no gripe really. Obviously the fee structure is there, but they provide a service so you should expect you have to pay something.

It's not like their structure is hidden either, it's public information. You probably should have looked into it before selling such high ticketed items, so you know what you are getting yourself into.

Reserve prices fees are only refunded if the items sells, the higher the starting price the higher the listing fee (which is why I always start stuff off at .01, eventhough up to 9.99 whould still be .20), gallery, featured items, bold, that all costs coin too.

Just curious... you're blaming eBay for you not knowing your own social security number?

Yes, for paying they are fine. But did u know they get a heft final value fee?
Both Ebay and Paypal take like 2% of your sale. So on my 1500 ps3 i gave about 80 to them in final value fees, plus that in listing fees...

So let me get this straight... you had someone pay OVER DOUBLE for a system which you bought, and are complaining about $80?

Get real man... it is people like you that have the government trying to pass legislation to limit the amount that someone can sell a like item online for...

As in an anti-pricegouging law... kind of like anti-scalping laws, which can be easily circumvented; however, they feel like something needs to be done, and to be honest I have to agree with them...

^^If I remember correctly, that particular auction he didn't make much on. He bought the items at markup, plus the games and whatever the heck else was included. I think his profit was less than $100, if anything at all.

I put up my Xbox and PS2 for auction about 5 months ago the same day I created an account - eBay thought I was trying to "abuse eBay" so they took off my auctions, and slapped me with a listing fee + a need to provide proof of ownership, receipts, photos, and blood samples.

Paypal and eBay are useful. And I don't mind their 2% fee...they do need to make a profit to provide a service which is useful for facilitating trades that would be much harder to make without them. But their reputation has been tainted for me because of their **** rules regarding suspected "abusers", and I wish their customer service people were easier to deal with.

So let me get this straight... you had someone pay OVER DOUBLE for a system which you bought, and are complaining about $80?

Get real man... it is people like you that have the government trying to pass legislation to limit the amount that someone can sell a like item online for...

As in an anti-pricegouging law... kind of like anti-scalping laws, which can be easily circumvented; however, they feel like something needs to be done, and to be honest I have to agree with them...

Zing! :smoker:

^^If I remember correctly, that particular auction he didn't make much on. He bought the items at markup, plus the games and whatever the heck else was included. I think his profit was less than $100, if anything at all.

Well then he should know speculating is the same thing as gambling...

You do so with a risk especially when you are buying something with the hopes of making even more $$$...

Sorry, I still have no sympathy...

i find paypal easy + convienint to pay for cetain things with :D

never use ebay really.

In regards of ease of use, I actually find Google Checkout much easier and a snap. I still use PayPal 95% of the time, but there has been some interesting discounts at buy.com lately when using Google Checkout - I rather liked it :D

But then again, almost anything Google does (before I get flamed, I did say almost) is quite good :)

I have had some bad experiences with paypal and not so much ebay. However I don't like how much ebay charges people for auctions and other small things. Paypal has jerked me around so much I'm totally fed up with them. They wanted a ton of my personal info to readd one of my bank accounts which I gave them, then they emailed me a new form and said "Fill this out this time and send it again!"...yeah, no. I don't really hate them, but I picked that anyways just because I strongly dislike them.

You all suck.
KC is correct, i made 0 on that auction...
I came out, either 5-10 behind, or 5-10 ahead.
And, no im not blaming ebay for not knowing my ssn, im blaming it for not working. The ssn i entered is correct. and its a matter of 700 dollars...

You all suck.
KC is correct, i made 0 on that auction...
I came out, either 5-10 behind, or 5-10 ahead.
And, no im not blaming ebay for not knowing my ssn, im blaming it for not working. The ssn i entered is correct. and its a matter of 700 dollars...

Perhaps if eBay actually screwed you over, we'd feel more sympathy...but you attempted to make a profit by taking a risk and you didn't win. It's part of the same capitalist system that has let you profit in the past and will probably continue to do so in the future, along with giving you another bunch of losses.

It sucks but just accept it and move on.

Last edited:
Perhaps if eBay actually screwed you over, we'd feel more sympathy...but you attempted to make a profit by taking a risk and you didn't win. It's part of the same capitalist system that has let you profit in the past and will probably continue to do so in the future, along with giving you another bunch of losses.

It sucks but just accept it and move on.
Ebay did screw me over.
What do you call charging me for something they cancelled for no good reason.
Do you want to know what their reasoning was?
I did not explain why it cost 50 dollars to ship 3-day. BS

Ebay did screw me over.
What do you call charging me for something they cancelled for no good reason.
Do you want to know what their reasoning was?
I did not explain why it cost 50 dollars to ship 3-day. BS

Why did you not mention this before? Anyway, they did a similar thing to me on my first ever auction. And it sucks. I still haven't bothered to clear my account suspension :p

I guess they've been forced to become so **** about it because of all the scam artists on there.

Last edited:
$50.00 for shipping is rather expensive.

I keep getting accused of attempted fraud on Paypal, but I have verified as much as possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back