How do you defrag MFT on SATA?

ming

OSNN Advanced
Hi, I've recently built my new system with a SATA HD. When I came to do an offline defrag with PD it keeps telling me that 'No drive entries found' when booting into the defrag.

How can I defrag the MFT with a SATA HD?

i would probably say its better not to. I have only ever done it once and I spent the next 6 or so hours trying to figure out why norton antivirus was throwing fits. In the end I removed and reinstalled it

I seem to remember it working fine, I would wait until you have a clear indication either way tho. The Perfectfisk offline defrag interface is loaded after the point the SATA drivers are loaded so it should know.

Very strange.
It keeps saying the same thing every time I start/reboot the machine..

nvm, I'm re-installing windows from scratch coz it's not performing to my expectations, partly because I forgot to use Bootvis after the initial install. hehe :p

I did used to have that problem -- but I never narrowed it down.
Norton Antivirus could have been a culprit, but it also occured in the last version of Perfectdisk.

yeah i also got that problem and more problems with perfect disk, then i tried diskeeper and everything works ok also offline defragmentation or boot time defragmentation :)

ming said:
Very strange.
It keeps saying the same thing every time I start/reboot the machine..

nvm, I'm re-installing windows from scratch coz it's not performing to my expectations, partly because I forgot to use Bootvis after the initial install. hehe :p

"Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP. These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the normal operation of the operating system.... The Bootvis.exe tool is no longer available from this site." -Microsoft WHDC

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/fastboot/bootvis.mspx

Who gives anyway!?! I use Bootvis to optimise the boot routine of windows. Although they say it won't improve performance for 'end users', I do, however, find that it actually does help re-align the system files.
I only use it once after installing windows and before installing any other software on top. There is a noticable difference between using bootvis and not using bootvis.

Perfectdisk will do a better job of optimizing boot performance then bootvis if you dont disable ntfs last access updates.

dont use bootvis. period :D

On another note my neo2 plat treats the SATA drive is standard IDE until SATA drivers are loaded so everything works out the box.

Check the bios of your neo4 forsimilar abilities.

I thought it was weird that SATA was being treated as IDE on the mobo. :p
Need to find those drivers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back