How do you create a Win98 boot cd?

Wrathchild

OSNN Senior Addict
Anyone? I've found a few boot floppy creators, but I need one on a bootable cd.

-Wrath

i was actually trying to install windows 98 the other day on my bros laptop and i found a site with all the boot discs for microsoft OS's hold on. let me get the link!!

If you're like me and don't have a floppy, the EXE files they have at Bootdisk.com are useless when you try to make a boot CD with Nero, but you can download Winimage to convert the files at Bootdisk.com from exe into Nero-friendly IMA files.

Once you've converted it, just start Nero, pick "CD ROM (Boot)", then in the image area choose 98bootsc.ima as your image, and uncheck the advanced options. Add files and you're set! If you're trying to make a bootable CD for XP there is another way, but I don't know what you intend to do with this.

phishhead said:
bootdisk.com is the best place heres a dos win98 boot cd image http://1gighost.net/dosfile/win98sc.zip

That appears to be a boot floppy maker. I need a boot cd. I'm working on an old IBM notebook that needs a bios upgrade. Problem is, the bios updater makes a floppy. This unit doesn't have one. Just a cd/dvd rom. So I thought I'd make a bootable win98 utility cd so I could at least get to a command prompt. Problem is, all these win98 boot disk maker utilities only make a bootable floppy, not a cd.

-Wrath

Link?

Unwonted said:
Here...inside this rar is a file called 98boot.ima, and it can be used when you make a bootable CD with Nero.

Just start Nero, pick "CD ROM (Boot)", then in the image area choose 98boot.ima as your image, and uncheck the advanced options. Add files and you're set! If you're trying to make a bootable CD for XP there is another way, but I don't know what you intend to do with this.

No link dude?

Thanks for trying anyway.

-Wrath

The attached file didn't go through for some reason. Anyway, I edited the above post for helpfulness.

Thanks gents. I was able to create a Win98 boot CD. Now I'm wondering how to get the bios update out of file I downloaded from IBM. Apparently, it makes a bootable Bios Updater floppy. You boot to this floppy and follow the menu to update your bios. Again, I don't have a floppy on this notebook, so I need to figure out a way to do it from a CDROM.

Thanks again,

Wrath

P.S. Any ideas EP?

which IBM notebook do u have? b/c im trying to put 98 and update my bios on my IBM 600E and its really confusing. it could be the same issues ur havin too

prodj88 said:
which IBM notebook do u have? b/c im trying to put 98 and update my bios on my IBM 600E and its really confusing. it could be the same issues ur havin too

It's a 770Z, which is reasonably old, it's a P2 400 Mhz notebook with 128 megs of RAM and a 16 gig HD. I want to get XP on it so my daughter can use it to surf and check e-mail. That's all she uses a PC for. The only issue I'm having is that I don't have a floppy drive for it, so I can't use the IBM bios updater, as it installs the updater on a floppy.

-Wrath

:S...i wouldnt but xp on that. Its gonna be slow as hell.

edit: did have that it prob wont run on that computer but i looked up th
[font=verdana, geneva, helvetica]e requirements and the lowest can be 300mhz with 128mb of ram.
[/font]

TittleBitties said:
:S...i wouldnt but xp on that. Its gonna be slow as hell.

edit: did have that it prob wont run on that computer but i looked up th
[font=verdana, geneva, helvetica]e requirements and the lowest can be 300mhz with 128mb of ram.
[/font]

It doesn't have to be fast. It just has to run IE and E-mail.

-Wrath

If the bios updater saves the files on your HDD somewhere for you to copy them to a floppy, you might wanna try and burn them onto a cdrom and then use that. Or another option is to either borrow or buy an external floppy drive and use that to boot the bios updater files.

How bout a link to the bios updater. Maybe someone can take a look at it and extract the files you need.

Hello I came across this by accident but thought I'd register and try to help. Anyway if the bios updater makes a floppy then cant you just use winimage to extract the files from the bios updater and then add them to the bootable cd or easier yet save it as an ima and burn it with nero.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back