HOW DO YOU CLEAR MSCONFIG (Startup)??

Black_Pride

OSNN Addict
HELLO...
How do you clear the contents of the "Startup" Tab under MSCONFIG??

I have many many old programs in there and the list is soooooo long and none of my boxes are checked. Is there a way to delete programs from that list?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance!!

There are 2 places that you will find these program entries, in your 'Users' Start menu, in which case click your 'Start' button, then 'Startup' and then delete the unwanted entries with a right click. The other place is in the registry. If you open your registry editor and find: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
In this Run directory there will be a list of autoexecuting programs, again, delete the unwanted ones.

Good luck

TOK;)

Gothic...

Thanks for your reply but the only ones I am showing in my registry under the key you directed me to, are the ones I have left active in my startup box. I have about 20 other programs listed in that box that are not checked and they still show up in the list.

I remember the MSCONFIG utility in WInME had a "Cleanup" button to remove old programs from that list. I am just wondering where that list is stored.

Thanks for any input guys.....

just search your reg for the file and/or path pointed to in msconfig

As I stated above...the only path pointed to in MSCONFIG is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr
entVersion\Run

When I go there it only shows me the list of items I have checked to run at startup which consists of 5 items, not the entire list of 25 items in the Startup box.

Thanks anyways.....

hmm
could check system.ini / win.ini or you startup folder in both all users and your current user ?

After a small test it appears that msconfig put those disabled items in 'sub-folders' under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig

So use regedit to navigate to there and look in the different 'sub-folders' to see if you can delete those disabled items from there...

ps
Always first export it to a .reg file before you delete something from the registry :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back