How do you access friends pc through my pc on XP?

B

Bishop

I heard that you are able to access someone else's pc through XP. I have been searching on how to do this and have not found anything on it. Me and my friend are trying to give one another access to each others' pc in cases where we need help to set things up or get files from one another.

TIA :D

It's right in the programs menu it's called Remote Assistance just follow the instructions.:D

If you have XP Pro, you also have the option of Remote Desktop Connection (Start->Programs->Accessories->Communications). This is a version of Terminal Services, from Win2k Server, and allows you to remote control your computer. This is used in place of something like PC Anywhere or VNC, most often. It's also a great tool to get help with a server or some application when you have a pro to fix your screw ups ;)
/L.A

you must install Internet Information Services for what Lactic.acid is talking about...

Originally posted by Highwind7777
you must install Internet Information Services for what Lactic.acid is talking about...

No, you do not need to install IIS. You do need to (providing that both systems either WinXP or 2K Server) make sure that the person has a valid account that can logon via Remote Desktop (TS), or just receives an invitation. If one workstation is WinXP, and the other is Win9X/NT/2K, you can still get the TS client and connect to the WinXP box using said client.

If you are just looking to move files back and forth, then just share the directory out so the other person can access that via a network. It's easier, and better for simple file transfers.

"Q" on remote asst.......

On my xp-pro, it's got remote asst BUT theres no wizard to figure it out SOooo, what or how do we configure this ???
I have all my IPconfig info, my ip cable modem nic address, domain name and etc, i also have my friends info, but don't understand whats next....dah!!!

Any help appricated....

Thx

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q300546

Person that requires help issues a request in one of three ways: MSN, email, or save invitation as file. The receiver will accept, open the file, etc. (Assuming this person is running XP Pro or .NET when it comes out.) The "pro" will then be viewing the "novice's" computer. The pro has a button to "take control", and the novice must choose to allow that. And that, essentially, is that. There are some other features that you can figure out, or read the article I gave you for more in depth information. Sorry to disappoint you, when you were all ready with your IP, MAC, etc. etc. etc. =)

Of course, none of this works without a network connection, mind you...
/L.A

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back