• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How do i?

OK i got it to work with the xcacls tool from MS
Basically i run a Cscript and it sets permissions on that users desktop folder to make it read only. NOW the problem is that whenever they run this script i get an error message stating ""you are not using csript for the scripting engine. Screen messages will be supressed." Googled to no avail. The script DOES work, but i get that annoying popup message. This is my script....

c:
net use x: \\storage\script
x:
CScript//H:Cscript
xcacls.vbs "%userprofile%\desktop"\ /g domain\%username%:x r monson\administrator:f /s
c:
net use x: /delete /yes
pause

Outout from the BAT file from a student logging in.

H:\>c:
C:\>net use x: \\storage\script
System error 85 has occurred.
The local device name is already in use.

C:\>x:
X:\>CScript//H:Cscript //S
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.
Command line options are saved.
CScript Error: Can't change default script host.

Their solution was to add "CScript//H:Cscript //S" which windows to run Cscript rather then Wscript. However i still get the error message even after doing exactly as the post says. This was one of that original posts that helped me figure this whole thing out.

I got it.

If i edited microsoft's cacls.vbs file and took out the following:

If Not IsEngineCScript Then
Wscript.Echo "You are not using CScript for the scripting engine." & vbcrlf & "Screen messages will be surpressed."
End if

Then the error message goes away :)

So in the end i DID figure out how to stop users from editing their desktops. If anyone else needs to do this and they cant follow my posts, let me know i can summarize how i did it. Thanks for the replys.

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
? why didn't you just run the script with cscript instead of going through all that?
Code:
cscript <myscriptfile.vbs>

? why didn't you just run the script with cscript instead of going through all that?
Code:
cscript <myscriptfile.vbs>
Going through all of what? The mapping of the drive i assume is what you mean? I am going to not do it that way when i impliment it. I was just doing it that way because i originally started off doing something and it changed to using that cscript. So i kinda just kept it in there.

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
no, i was referring to having to add a line in to change the default script host to cscript. You don't have to if you just run the vbs script by calling cscript.exe first (cscript <filename>). It won't prompt or cause any of the other problems.

I know it's not really much so maybe the use of the phrase "through all of that" was a little exaggerated. :) :s

no, i was referring to having to add a line in to change the default script host to cscript. You don't have to if you just run the vbs script by calling cscript.exe first (cscript <filename>). It won't prompt or cause any of the other problems.

I know it's not really much so maybe the use of the phrase "through all of that" was a little exaggerated. :) :s
ahhh ok i get it. I know close to nothing about scripts. So i just did it how i found it on forums. How would i go about doing what you reccommended?
Im assuming i just make a VBS file and have it state "cscript (finename)" plus its parameters?

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
yes.. if you calling the vbs script from a batch file, in the batch file, just add the line "cscript <filename> <parameters>"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies