How do I...

H

Herkalees

Okay, I've got many many MP3's on my PC, my roomate has none on his PC. We share a DSL connection through a Netgear router, and have been successfully... How do I make it so that the one folder on my PC is accessible from his, so he can listen to my MP3's which reside on my HD, through his computer.

I know I need to maybe change the properties of the folder to share or something, but I don't know how and would like some help. Ideally, he would just double click on a folder on his desktop, which brings him right into my folder full of MP3's, without opening any software on my PC (like Winamp etc...), only his own.

If it helps, here are some spec's:

I run WinXP Pro, he runs the virus we call Win ME
We share a DSL line through a Netgear router which is always connected/on.
I use NTFS, he doesn't (I assume since it's Win ME)

Can it be done, and how?

Thanks!

Assuming, you already have a network, and can see each other's folders, it's just a matter of you allowing him to access your folder. So whatever directory your mp3s are stored in, right click, properties, sharing. Under sharing, click "Share this folder." Then click on the Security tab to set the sharing options (read, write, etc.)

Okay, I've done that, but now what do I do on his PC, I clicked on My Network Places, and then tried Entire Network and got nothing, is it supposed to automatically find my newly shared folder?

For him to access a share on your computer you will need to add him as a user. Needs to be the same username and password that he uses to log into his PC.

You will have a problem....Window ME cannot read NTFS, the file system you are using on the XP machine.

Can the two computers see each other over the network.
If they cant then you need to get them both in the same workgroup.

In XP, Right click "My Computer" select Properties, click on the "Computer Name" tab, click the change button type your computer name (it only needs to be different from the ME machine name, you can make it up), Click workgroup in the Member of section and type "MP3 net" or something you make up(remember this as it will have to be the same on the ME machine as well), Click OK.

In ME, Right click on "My Network Places" and select properties, a window should open with 3 tabs at the top (I think), The middle one will be Identification, click it type a name different from the XP machine name, then type the same Workgroup Name. Then it should all work.

It is possible that you have all of this already setup in order to use the DSL Router, but you never know.

Hope this was helpful. you could also try using mIRC, getting on a EFNet server and going to #xperience and getting JJB to help you out, hes the network master really.

Also Maxrebo1974, I have XP sharing files over a network with about 500 PCs on the network, more than 70% are ME machines and I havent had a problem. If it couldnt be done then ME workstations operating around a NT Server would never work.

I did not say that it could not be done. The windows ME O.S. cannot read NTFS, if the XP machine is using FAT32 then it would be no problem. He states that the XP machine is using NTFS, so the ME O.S. cannot read the file system.

Originally posted by maxrebo1974
I did not say that it could not be done. The windows ME O.S. cannot read NTFS, if the XP machine is using FAT32 then it would be no problem. He states that the XP machine is using NTFS, so the ME O.S. cannot read the file system.

Networked drives are different. There will be no problems for the ME machine to see the NTFS formatted XP machine.

Thank you open_source, I again use my NT based network example

ME machines connected to a NT Domain, with a fileserver formatted as NTFS, the ME machines can still read it as the OS ON THE FILESERVER does the reading of the drive and the transmission of the data the ME machine doesnt read the data directly off the NTFS volume. Though it can be done, goto SysInternals.com and they have a Win9x NTFS driver there which you could use to read NTFS volumes directly with 9x/ME

Same thing with, for example, Linux. At home I use a Linux machine as a file server (shared using Samba). Linux runs EXT2 as file system and still my XP machines can access it over the network. The file system only matters internally in the machine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back